• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Going to VP SEF: Any Reason to Not Buy Premix?

I probably going to start using the SEF from VP. They sell 4 Cycle and then 2 premixed version. The oil in the premix is JASO FD so is there any reason why I should continue buying Redline (JASO FC) and mix it in with the 4 Cycle instead of just using what's in the 40:1 or 50:1?

I realize this has the foundation for another oil debate thread and I hate to ask it. The oil in the SEF has a newer classification but should work fine in our Giant Scale applications, right?

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
$25 bucks+ per gallon??!?!?!! Your engines will thank you if you just run Redline and the best pump gas you can find. So I guess I have to ask..........why the heck would you want to buy pre-mix?

I went with prepackaged E0 fuel last year just to see if I could notice anything. Other than smell I noticed no improvement. This year we had 110 gal E0 fuel that I needed to get rid of. So I used it in my work truck. Again no change that I could detect. MPGs didn't change ge. At least not that I could detect. If you have the money for that fuel go for it but I have never seen any issues with good quality E10 gasoline. Redline oil and E10 will be just fine. BTW I fill up my lawn mower gas can in the spring and it last me all year. Never an issue and this 16 year old engine starts every time on first or second pull. Even first start of the year.

Well, for me it's a matter of convenience.

The weather here is terrible and we only have about 3 months out of the year where the weather is consistently good enough to fly almost every weekend. Normally by this time of year, the winds would've settled down but they haven't. In a typical year, I'll only burn maybe 4-5 gallons and this year I would only be to about 1.5 gallons so far because the winds still haven't settled down (10-15 with gusts to 20-25 today). I'm currently at less than a gallon for the year because I'm putting together a new gasser.

So the price doesn't bother me that much and there are places around here that sell it for $18/gallon.

Now where the convenience comes into play is that when we get that rare weekend that it's warm enough to fly and the winds aren't 20+mph, I could buy a couple of the quart cans, pour them in my fueling jug, and go fly. I could add 1 or 2 quarts and only use what I need without worrying about it going bad.

It seems like lol!

I lived in Fort Collins, CO which can be windy but we would fly March through October. Maybe not every weekend but often enough that gas never went bad.

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
I probably going to start using the SEF from VP. They sell 4 Cycle and then 2 premixed version. The oil in the premix is JASO FD so is there any reason why I should continue buying Redline (JASO FC) and mix it in with the 4 Cycle instead of just using what's in the 40:1 or 50:1?

I realize this has the foundation for another oil debate thread and I hate to ask it. The oil in the SEF has a newer classification but should work fine in our Giant Scale applications, right?

Not sure I've ever seen one of our typical engines (DA, DLE, ZDZ, GP, 3W, EME, etc.) even spedify a JASO or API service designation.

Seems pretty expensive; I've had success with 93 pump gas and Stihl Ultra or Redline at 40:1.

I had some problems with gas that sat for too long.

Ultimately there's what your time is worth. Given my workload and the sparsity of good flying weather here, I'm going to SEF to see if I can minimize downtime and maximize flying time.

I'm applying for a new job but until I get one, my choices are limited.