• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Gecko 120hv and Q80 8M won't spin...

I Love Nachos

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
So I have been on and off working on this setup and I have the gecko 120 opto esc with a hacker Q80 on 12S. For some reason the motor just sits and beeps about once per second and is unresponsive. I've hooked it up to the programmer and it seems all fine. I adjust the end points on the radio. I have relinked the RX and TX. I replaced the servo extensions and I've even switch the throttle channel to see if I had a bad connection. It just won't budge! The gecko manual doesn't have "motor doesn't spin and beeps" in the trouble shooting guide so I'm kinda out of ideas. Looking for some fresh input on ideas to try. I look forward to any input I can get!

Thanks
Nick. :banana:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Nick, after adjusting the endpoints, have you tried lowering the throttle trim to get the ESC to arm?

That's what I was thinking. After doing the first time ESC power up throttle range calibration, sometimes the ESC's calibration will drift and the throttle trim will have to be lowered to get it to arm. If running the trim down doesn't do it then hit the end point adjustment to get it into range. I've experienced this with several brands of ESC since I run my lower throttle end-point pretty "tight" to the ESC's motor arming threshold, and use the throttle trim to spin up the motor for a low idle speed to maintain ESC sync during chopped throttle down lines etc.

Obviously, this all assumes that the first time ESC power up throttle range calibration was accepted by the ESC. And my preference (depends on the radio too) before doing that is to have the throttle's upper endpoint max'd out, and the lower end point only extended by about 50% of its adjustment range to allow for future adjustment headroom (for ESC threshold calibration drift with temperature).

Last edited by a moderator:

I Love Nachos

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I've never been able to get it to even calibrate. I maxed out the throttle endpoint on the top end but I didn't adjust the bottom as much. I will give that a try tonight. Thanks for the input and I will report back!

gyro

GSN Contributor
I've never been able to get it to even calibrate. I maxed out the throttle endpoint on the top end but I didn't adjust the bottom as much. I will give that a try tonight. Thanks for the input and I will report back!

When calibrating the top and bottom, set your EPA to about 125%. Power up the ESC with throttle at top, wait for beep, bring it to bottom. It should pick up the lower point.

Make sure you do this without a throttle cut engaged.

Good luck!

I Love Nachos

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Figured it out! I had the red wire disconnected but since this is an opto I needed it. Always something little like that! Thanks gyro I will calibrate later tonight and hope to maiden this weekend!

gyro

GSN Contributor
Figured it out! I had the red wire disconnected but since this is an opto I needed it. Always something little like that! Thanks gyro I will calibrate later tonight and hope to maiden this weekend!

Awesome! Let us know how it goes. What plane?

I Love Nachos

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Aerobeez 90" Extra. I have the 60cc slick already and I love it. Looking forward to the maiden... I'm anxious to see if I like the big electric or if I will wish I went gas.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Aerobeez 90" Extra. I have the 60cc slick already and I love it. Looking forward to the maiden... I'm anxious to see if I like the big electric or if I will wish I went gas.

I flew it on electric, and it was smooth as butter :)

I did like it better on gas however. Good luck!