• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Gasser Throttle Servo, What Do You Like?

Burned up the Futaba 9402 after 8 years yesterday on my 89 Slick.

Are high speed coreless analog servos still preferred or is everyone using a digital servo these days?

What servo do you like for throttle?

I may be different but I use the same servo for throttle as that for my flying surfaces - in my plane that means a Futaba BLS 172HV SBus servo! I also leave the throttle return spring hooked up. I have not been able to see a discernible difference in amp/volt draw with or without that spring attached! These BLS 172HV servos are extremely accurate, fast and quick. They are a little expensive but in this case you get what you pay for!!

I'm not necessarily going to go cheap but I'd like to keep it ideally $90 or less.

Since everyone seems to be going with digital on throttle, I'm going to dig through my servo stash tonight to see what I have. I know I have 5 5945MG's from back when they were highly prized but I may have a 5925MG or 2 or something else that's metal geared and digital.

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
I may be different but I use the same servo for throttle as that for my flying surfaces - in my plane that means a Futaba BLS 172HV SBus servo! I also leave the throttle return spring hooked up. I have not been able to see a discernible difference in amp/volt draw with or without that spring attached! These BLS 172HV servos are extremely accurate, fast and quick. They are a little expensive but in this case you get what you pay for!!

Same here DD.

I'll use the same model servo on the whole plane and choose based on torque first and speed second. Mainly flying IMAC I don't worry about a couple of hundredths of a second on speed. I'm just not a good enough pilot to see/feel the difference between 0.013 and 0.016ms when it comes to servo travel, especially since +/-25 degrees is the max travel I have on ailerons and elevators. Also, gas engines only spool up so fast and I'd be surprised that anything faster than 0.014-0.016 provides any benefit.

One servo also helps me with keeping spares, between two 100cc ARF's I only keep a couple of extra servos on hand since both planes use the same model. I'm using the SAVOX 1230SG.

Kevin-Young

70cc twin V2
I have been using futaba 9650's on my throttles for everything the last few years. They are pretty fast, they center well, and are low profile.

I'm not necessarily going to go cheap but I'd like to keep it ideally $90 or less.

Since everyone seems to be going with digital on throttle, I'm going to dig through my servo stash tonight to see what I have. I know I have 5 5945MG's from back when they were highly prized but I may have a 5925MG or 2 or something else that's metal geared and digital.

Those will be fine, especially if you plan on running LV (6.6V).