• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion Gas vs. Electric

I am looking to make the jump into larger sized aircraft. I have been flying small electrics (48") for a few years now. I have moved in the past year and with the move I have changed flying sites. My flying site used to be a smooth surface (geotextile fabric) and I am now flying off of a grass strip. My 48" electrics can fly off of the grass ok, but they are really too small for that type of field so that is really why I am looking to jump a larger size of aircraft.

When flying the smaller aircraft I opted to go electric because I thought that it would be cheaper/cleaner/easier than going nitro. Now that I am looking at aircraft in the 30cc range it is looking like going the gas route would be the cheaper way to go if I am going to be flying anything 6s and above. I have never had a gas airplane before so I am wondering what the pros/cons are of between a gasser and an electric in this size range. If any of you guys can offer perspective from each side that would be great. Thanks!

HH

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
i am in the camp that a 30cc 3d plane flies better electric than gas. but that is merely an opinion. the general pros/cons you will get:

gas pros: longer flight times, no need for big charging setup, fuel flip fly (no waiting on charged packs or cost of having a larger number of packs)

electric pros: no tuning, no mess, no added vibration which can wear out electronic, quiet (typically can be flown in more places), very low maintenance (although in this day and age, gas is not maintenance heavy anymore), many types of power options (light and floaty vs massively overpowered and everywhere in between), the airframes tend to slow down better due to not having a baseline idle like gas engines do

it really comes down to what you want. if you are comfortable with electric and like it, then go for it. if you are fascinated with gas engines, you like the noise, want to do a smoke system, etc. etc., then go for gas.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I like a 30cc plane either way... gas definitely feels heavier and you have to learn all over again how to harrier etc. with the idle. It takes a bit to get used to but once you have it down it is great.

I will put gas in anything 25% and above but would still like an electric 25% plane... I know, I'm contradicting myself... I'm torn on it but have chosen gas at this point. Anything bigger than 25% I would definitely put gas in every time. The cost of going electric in bigger planes really starts to add up the bigger you go. A 100cc plane will easily cost an extra $1000 to go electric.

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
I like a 30cc plane either way... gas definitely feels heavier and you have to learn all over again how to harrier etc. with the idle. It takes a bit to get used to but once you have it down it is great.

I will put gas in anything 25% and above but would still like an electric 25% plane... I know, I'm contradicting myself... I'm torn on it but have chosen gas at this point. Anything bigger than 25% I would definitely put gas in every time. The cost of going electric in bigger planes really starts to add up the bigger you go. A 100cc plane will easily cost an extra $1000 to go electric.

the problem is that argument doesnt make sense. if you invest for the equipment for a 30cc electric setup (charger, batteries, etc.) then a 50cc electric plane is much more practical. (6s5000 for the 30cc, 2x 6s5000 for the 50cc and the same charger for both). now 50cc electric flies very very different from 50cc gas, and it is something to get used to just like 30cc gas.

3dNater

the problem is that argument doesnt make sense. if you invest for the equipment for a 30cc electric setup (charger, batteries, etc.) then a 50cc electric plane is much more practical. (6s5000 for the 30cc, 2x 6s5000 for the 50cc and the same charger for both). now 50cc electric flies very very different from 50cc gas, and it is something to get used to just like 30cc gas.

So you are saying the cost becomes comparable to gas on a 50cc if you have an electric using 6s 5000 packs already right?

3dNater

[MENTION=807]rcbirk21[/MENTION] I was assuming each plane starting with no components without a thought for the big charging setup. I will agree that once you are established in electric the cost become more manageable. All things being equal, gas is still cheaper assuming you can maximize the life of a battery without crashing. The cost of packs + the power needed to charge is greater than the cost of a single fueling jug and gas+oil. Maybe the difference in utility becomes a non-issue... I am arguing now only because my first post was labeled as an argument ;) I don't know whether electric motors or gas engines cost less in terms of maintenance/lifespan.

Anyway... I think the crux of one vs another has nothing to do with which one is better in all circumstances. It really becomes a matter of choosing a power setup that has the most congruence with a person's goals at the time they purchase. Those goals can be expressed in terms of price, noise, flight times, utilizing similar packs, perceived convenience of one over the other etc. Once size does not fit all ;) Each goal area has a different weight on the decision depending on a big bag of variables that make up the pilot's environment for decision making. Any opinions expressed should be looked at as nearly as possible through the lens of the eye of the person expressing it.

I think we can agree on that last point for sure :D

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
I have been going through this same dilemma. settled on a 60" electric. I can get it in the air quick as it is early in the season. Then I am going to add a 30-50cc gasser. I did this so I am not chomping at the bit with getting the gasser in the air. I can take time get it running great and not feel like I am in any rush. I am also upgrading my charging station. As bad as I want big gas I think the 60 will be a great plane to have as an everyday (I fly at home) practice plane, that is what really made my decision....

I already have a nice charger set-up (PL8 w/ 1500W power supply). I am just atrugglimg with choking down battery prices. On my small stuff I like to rotate 6 batteries, fly them, and then parrellel charge with the PL8. I fly 3-4 times a week when I am in town and batteries last me 1-2 seasons depending on brand. I have pretty much switched my 3s and 4s over to Glacier and those seem to last longer thanthe nano-techs I have ran in years past.

I guess my big hang up is that I dont want to have go replace 12 - $50.00 batteries every other season, so now I am strongly considering going gas.

I guess my main question is, since I have never ran gas, is there any unforeseen expenses that I should consider.

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
[MENTION=807]rcbirk21[/MENTION] I was assuming each plane starting with no components without a thought for the big charging setup. I will agree that once you are established in electric the cost become more manageable. All things being equal, gas is still cheaper assuming you can maximize the life of a battery without crashing. The cost of packs + the power needed to charge is greater than the cost of a single fueling jug and gas+oil. Maybe the difference in utility becomes a non-issue... I am arguing now only because my first post was labeled as an argument ;) I don't know whether electric motors or gas engines cost less in terms of maintenance/lifespan.

Anyway... I think the crux of one vs another has nothing to do with which one is better in all circumstances. It really becomes a matter of choosing a power setup that has the most congruence with a person's goals at the time they purchase. Those goals can be expressed in terms of price, noise, flight times, utilizing similar packs, perceived convenience of one over the other etc. Once size does not fit all ;) Each goal area has a different weight on the decision depending on a big bag of variables that make up the pilot's environment for decision making. Any opinions expressed should be looked at as nearly as possible through the lens of the eye of the person expressing it.

I think we can agree on that last point for sure :D

most definitely. i was assuming that you already had a 30cc electric with my post :D the nice part of the hobby is choices and its just about whatever floats your boat