• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Futaba setup questions

Dan767

70cc twin V2
Expo can "soften" the feel around center, making it easier to control your airplane, especially those with large control surfaces or big control throws. Futaba uses negative numbers to increase expo. If a manufacturer recommends 30% expo, it would be -30% with your 12ZH

Expo is totally personal preference.

I run quite a bit more expo on my IMAC planes than I do on others....but...

a while back I learned that setting Expo to roughly half of the throw percentage is a good start.

ie: throw is 50%, set expo to 25% (and correct...it is negative on Futaba)

throw is 30%, set expo to 15%, etc. etc.

this will at least get you going and then you can adjust from there.

All that being said there are a limited few that don't use any expo in IMAC, but they are few and far between and have very steady hands.

No math should be required really.  They make throw meters but a protractor could work for a ballpark idea of where you are at.  Keep the protractor's base in line with the center of the throw surface when centered and try full deflection for the reading.

images

images

It is set in the rates screen (AFR/ D/R)

http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/12z-manual.pdf

Page 72

Hope this helps....

Every set up is going to be different...   takes MANY flights to get an IMAC plane set up.

Here are an article for you

http://www.mini-iac.com/InfoCentral/tabid/74/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/122/categoryId/38/Peter-Goldsmith-How-to-reduce-your-flying-workload.aspx

And here is a video to take a look at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsB8UBBRzUo

As long as you can get past the funky accent! 
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif

billpilotca

New to GSN!
extrajohn said  the book is sometimes as clear as mud.

I have a day off sunday, a case of fuel and 2 batteries.....
Unfortunately the Futaba manuals were written in a manner that is difficult to translate and the logic is difficult to understand.  Fortunately there are lots of good folks in these forums who will do their best to explain and assist so best to keep asking the questions. 

The best thing to do is try some "expo" - 25-40% and then fly it and fix it.  It becomes a balance of how much throw to use and associated expo to get the plane to "feel right" in the air.  For aerobatics and IMAC we generally find that newcomers have too much throw and need to dial it back.  And don't assume that the same amount of expo is right for all control surfaces - you need to individually adjust ailerons, elevator and rudder.  Also don't overcompensate for too much throw by dialling up the expo to 60-70%.

Often people say that it takes 50 flights to dial in a plane, but most of us are still tweaking after a 150 flights or more !!