• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Futaba Sbus ?

tylerzx9r

100cc
Ok All,
Looking for some direction in my life........ HA! Figured I could seek advice here about life, hobby life that is! I fly Futaba, I know this creates an argument on which Radio system is best, but I don't need that here.... There are goods and bads with all systems! What I am disturbed about is this! I want to use high voltage, I have a current 14sg Futaba TX, On all my GS planes I have been using a 6014HS RX, but use A123's or Regs to get the voltage to an acceptable range. I have tried to check into the new Sbus system that Futaba recommends for high voltage, and to be honest.. I get lost trying to understand it, and trying to figure out exactly what I need seems to take an electrical engineer to explain! Please Help! Can someone explain to me what exactly I would need to make this work? I will have 2 servos on each wing half, 2 servos on the stab (1 per side) 1 servo for the rudder, 1 servo for the throttle, an IBEC for the ignition, and will need two channels allowed for the batteries (Redundant). Futaba only seems to have an 8 channel RX for HV which is not enough ports for what I need right? This means Sbus- More money- and confusion to me! I am on the verge of selling all my Futaba Stuff and getting something else with my frustration... but that doesn't do anything but cost money and time also. So I ask my fellow GS friends, Can you help?

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
You don't really need to use the S.bus system on any of the airplanes we fly, that's really only there to make complicated arrangements of servos (such as that on a turbine jet) into a simplified 1 plug system for each wing half or stabilizer. We don't have enough servos in our airplanes to really necessitate it.

The way S.bus works is it sends all of the servo signals out into the one signal line in the S.bus system. In order for it to work properly, you need S.bus servos that can listen to that signal. Each S.bus servo is programmed to listen to one specific channel in the line (you set which channel it listens to). You also will need to use the S.bus hubs here. You also need an S.bus capable receiver, the 6014 is not (nor is it HV compatible, though some of my club members run it on direct 2s LiIon voltage no problem). Which S.bus receiver you select doesn't matter so long as it has the range capabilities for the aircraft you intend to fly, as the S.bus system can listen to up to 18 channels at once (even though the receiver may not have 18 physical output channels on its surface).

This is a diagram showing how it simplifies a complicated servo arrangement:

sbus-diagram-lg.jpg

It doesn't show using more than one battery and you don't HAVE to if you don't want to, but in order for the system to handle the current loads you will need to run another battery out at the tail section if you're using HV and high torque servos. It just simply plugs into the S.bus hub.

It would be a much simpler and better route for you to use the 6014 receiver in a traditional method with extensions running to each servo in order for the voltage/current loads to be better handled. The S.bus is simply complicated in how it works- simple to setup, complicated in its function. Also, only Futaba S.bus servos will work with the system right now.

tylerzx9r

100cc
Ok so far.. I will plan on buying a new 6014 for the new Viper, but this still does not allow me to run HV. Why doesn't Futaba just offer a RX to handle HV? Also with the 6014 They do not recommend anything over 6.0V, (the reason I am asking for assistance) Ions are 7.4V- and people aren't regulating them to their RX?

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Mr. @Spats runs directs 7.4v though his 6014 receivers no problem. If you're paranoid about doing that then you can run 2 R7008SB receivers in your airplane- the 14SG can link 2 at the same time to give you access to all 14 channels.

Dan767

70cc twin V2
You can run the 6014 HV. If you decide to use the 7008: You will need a hub. See the links. Use a HV servo for the throttle and either plug it directly into the rx or the hub. Connect the IBEC directly to the rx as it's an analog device.. Use a short female/female extension from the rx to the hub (the second one listed) Plug the stab and rudder extensions into the first hub listed below. Use the 14SG to program the servo function, ie elevator throttle or aileron. Let me know if this helps.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDAVC&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXENCH&P=7

Jlc

70cc twin V2
I'm going to use sbus on my aileron servos on my next build. Won't matter how I plug them in they will know their channel and I can use the hub to plug in my telemetry and a battery lead. I run dual 7008's.

tylerzx9r

100cc
You can run the 6014 HV. If you decide to use the 7008: You will need a hub. See the links. Use a HV servo for the throttle and either plug it directly into the rx or the hub. Connect the IBEC directly to the rx as it's an analog device.. Use a short female/female extension from the rx to the hub (the second one listed) Plug the stab and rudder extensions into the first hub listed below. Use the 14SG to program the servo function, ie elevator throttle or aileron. Let me know if this helps.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDAVC&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXENCH&P=7
Good advice.. Except I already have Savox1270 Servos, or The new Mks777. They will not work with the Sbus system to my understanding?
Maybe this will help? :laughing:
Your pushing a very tempting button!

Jlc

70cc twin V2
Good advice.. Except I already have Savox1270 Servos, or The new Mks777. They will not work with the Sbus system to my understanding?

Your pushing a very tempting button!
Yes they will but you have to purchase the SBD-1 decoder