• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

FLI V at the 114th Sponsored by 3DHS and 3DRCFORUMS

gwh1

New to GSN!
FLI V at the 114th Sponsored by 3DHS and 3DRCFORUMS April 19-21, 2013

The 5th 3D Hobby Shop Fly-Low-In at the 114th RC Aero Squadron Field in Grapevine, Texas will be held on the weekend of April 19-21, 2013.

The fly-in is a gathering of 3DHS fans and those that would like to learn more about 3DHS products. All types of aircraft will be welcome in addition to the stable of 3DHS planes. Ben Fisher and friends will be flying and demonstrating his products throughout the weekend. He might even take the wraps off some cool new projects.

Google Map of the field and hotels in the surrounding area.

http://tinyurl.com/5d9g2t

Another map to the club field can be found and more information will be available at the 114th's web site http://114thrc.org/

FOR GPS PROGRAMING use 3029 Midway Road, Southlake, Texas 76092. This is the address for a wedding chapel that is just North of the flying field but most GPS programs should find it better than the road that the field is actually located on. GPS coordinates Latitude: 32.983218 Longitude: -97.121419

The club’s Grapevine field has a large grass runway and electrical outlets in the pit area. We are also planning have another great raffle sponsored by 3DHS and 3DRC Forums.

There will be food and drinks during the day and plan on sticking around for some electric night flying. Night flying is limited to electric aircraft only.

Because the field is in a suburban park we enforce a 100 DB at 10 feet noise limit for all aircraft and require sufficient mufflers and/or canisters on all engines.

For those people arriving by land, the field in located 5 minutes North of Hwy 114 on the border between Southlake and Grapevine. Take the Carroll Exit from the West and the Kimball Exit from the East.

For those arriving by air, the field is about 15 minutes Northwest of DFW airport and about 35 minutes from Dallas Love Field.

There are many hotels and tourist attractions in the area. See http://www.grapevinetexasusa.com/ for a listing of things for your family to do in Grapevine such as Shopping, playing in the LEGO DISCOVERY CENTER, watching fish at the SEA LIFE Aquarium, riding a Steam Railroad from Downtown Grapevine to the Fort Worth Stockyards, playing in the Water Park at Great Wolf Lodge, or a Spa Day at the Gaylord Texan Resort.

Lodging is available to suit almost any budget from high end resorts to budget hotels, such as Super 8, to the Vineyards Cabins and Campground.

Dry camping (No electric or water hookups is available in Meadowmere Park which is located next to the Club Field.

In addition to the hotels in Grapevine there is also a Hilton nearby in Southlake Town Square and the Marriott Solana in Westlake.

Regular Open AMA membership is required to fly at the field.

There is quite a bit of highway construction going on on the South side of Grapevine. It runs from the North entrance to DFW airport to the place where Hwys 121 and 114 spilt just West of the airport. Traffic on the highways may be slow in any direction at anytime due to lane various lanes being closed from time to time.

It is very easy to use the roads through Grapevine to avoid any construction delays. The attached map shows the central Grapevine area. construction.jpg

For those staying at the Baymont, just go north on Main and then west on Dove Loop or Northwest Hwy. Then head north on Kimball to the park.

For those staying in the Bass Pro/ Grapevine Mills area just take Northwest Hwy west across town. Then pick a method to get to Kimball.

For those staying in a hotel that is just East of the airport in Irving you may want to look at Airfield Rd. Airfield is a loop that circles DFW airport. It hits connects with Main St. just West of the North entrance to DFW.

Be sure to glance at a map the instructions above are intended to get you around the construction but will not get you all the way to the field. The roads through Grapevine are pretty simple and there is not really a best way. All of the various combinations work about the same.

Northwest Hwy is also called Business 114 and Business 26 depending on the location. ALSO THIS IS NOT THE SAME NORTHWEST HWY as the one in Dallas. The Dallas NW Hwy is also called Loop 12.

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
So I cant fly my DA100 with Mufflers out there ????? To loud ????

Hard to say if it's "too loud" until you measure it... but I'll be bringing my 89" with the DLE55 and my 106" with the DLE111 with me. I'm sure they'll have a decibel meter to verfiy everyone's planes are ok.

Drew

70cc twin V2
Hate to drive all the way and not be able to fly it, but hell, this field is only a few miles from my grandma's house. :D

gwh1

New to GSN!
So I cant fly my DA100 with Mufflers out there ????? To loud ????

Because the field is in a suburban park we enforce a 100 DB at 10 feet noise limit for all aircraft and require sufficient mufflers and/or canisters on all engines.

In the past we have been able to work with people to accommodate large engines. We have a Db meter and can help you understand at what throttle settings you might have a problem or let you compare various propellers. In general we have not have many problems with the 3D flying that the FLI is all about and short bursts of full throttle. However, this field is not the best place if your interest is to make full throttle low passes or other sustained full throttle maneuvers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drew

70cc twin V2
In the past we have been able to work with people to accommodate large engines. We have a Db meter and can help you understand at what throttle settings you might have a problem or let you compare various propellers. In general we have not have many problems with the 3D flying that the FLI is all about and short bursts of full throttle. However, this field is not the best place if your interest is to make full throttle low passes or other sustained full throttle maneuvers.

Cool, so your post says 10 feet. Do most guys flying large planes just stay high altitude to keep the noise level down ? I can understand hovering and such, just don't mash the gas on pull out. No problem there......thanks for the reply