• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Field Equipment: Battery Chargers

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
20160402_151539.jpg Well finally got a hold of a bump controller and added a second PL6. Can't wait for a good weather day to try this puppy out at the field.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
My apologies in advance if this is not the right place for a charger question, but I have one. I have a Hitec X4 AC/DC charger that according to the instruction book will discharge a LiFe battery at 1C. The problem is that when I try to change the discharge rate in the charger, it will not go higher than 1 amp. I have tried it with both an AC and a DC power source and neither one will go over 1 amp. Am I missing something here or is there an error in the instruction book?

TIA Fella's,
David

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
OK Fella's, since my current charger will only discharge at 5 watts max, I'm looking for a charger that has a "considerably" higher discharge rate. Preferably something that will allow me to cycle a 5200 mAh LiFe, 2S2P Duraflight battery in less than 8 hours. If it only does one battery at a time, that's fine too.

TIA Fellas,:way_to_go:
David

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I use a PowerLab, on bigger batteries but I-Chargers work great too. There are many different models to choose from.

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
The pl6 can discharge at 50W. I have an icharger 406 duo as well (don't remember what the discharge rating is though). With either of these you can do a regenerative discharge (pl6 up to 1000W discharge, not sure about the icharger) if you are using a Pb battery as your source. Another cool feature (I've never used it) but on the icharger you could actually discharge from 1 channel and regeneratively charge on the other channel.

I got rid of my hitec x4 shortly after getting into electric flight, they're very limited to what they can do and take forever to charge compared to the powerlabs and ichargers.