• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight EXP Servo Thread (60" EXP's): Poll!!!

Which one do you like best?

• Hitec HS225MG's

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Hitec HS5245MG's

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Hitec 7245MG's

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • BK mini cyclic servo

• RJX FS-0391/0390HV's

• JR 3711HV's

• Airtronics 94761's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Futaba S9170SB SbuS2

• Savox 1250HV

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Futaba 9650

• Total voters
Hitec HS5245MG's
7245MG's
BK mini cyclic servo
RJX FS-0391/0390HV's
JR 3711HV's
Airtronics 94761's
Futaba S9170SB SbuS2
Hitec HS225MG's
JR3421
Savox 1250HV

Doc Austin

70cc twin V2
I have not had a Laser yet, so I can't speak to that plane. Yet, that is.

However, I have flown the HS5245MG servos extremely hard in the 60 Edge and Extra and the MXS in both it's 60" and 64" configurations. I learned a few things about these servos, and servo set up in general, and my 5245MGs have served me rather well.

Like with any servo, there are a few things to watch out for. On the 5245MGs, you need to check the dead bands to assure good centering. You also need to use a high quality servo arm that fits tight on the output shaft and doesn't allow any slop. Also make sure your ESC (or separate BEC) is putting out 6 volts.

Finally, seal your hinge gaps.

I've done all of these things and my servos center well. I never experience any stalling or blowback. For the planes I have owned so far in the size range, the 5245MGs have been just fine.

I do plan to try the 7245MGs, but only when I have $300 to spend on servos. I've got three sets of 5245MGs and since they work so well I'm going to spend the money on something I need more.

Thanks for the info Doc!!! If ou don't wanna spend as much for the 7245's, you can try the Savox 1250MG's on 7.4v (new version, HV). They are 10 bucks cheaper.

Feral

No failures charlie they should be bulletproof in a plane helis are alot harder on servos.
If you run hv servos you could also run a castle talon 90 with the bec set at 8v

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
I have been so happy with my 7245 servos in both the 60" Edge and 60" Laser. Fast and strong with no blowback what so ever.

No failures charlie they should be bulletproof in a plane helis are alot harder on servos.
If you run hv servos you could also run a castle talon 90 with the bec set at 8v

Heli servos are meant for short bursts of resistance, not constant loads. With heli servos in a plane, (i.e. rollers,) they are more prone to burn out more quickly. I have learned this with the small 48"'s, but not 60"'s. I feel like I should give the BK servos a try. :banghead:

Feral

Thats not the case charlie heli servos are nearly constantly loaded to a degree when doing hurricanes all servos are nearly fully loaded