• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Exhaust Gas Temp

jetmech05

New to GSN!
Any one have a clue what the exhaust gas temp on a DA 170 might be? Not the CHT. But actual gas temp. I've heard some high numbers above the melting point of aluminum.
I'm having a hard time believing it

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
A friend of mine called DA about header temperatures once and was told that the header could be 750 when used with a tuned pipe depending on air flow. He said header temps with a pipe were worse than with a can. If that's the case, it's no wonder it can be tough at times to keep the Teflon tape on the flex joint.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Typical (generally speaking) EGT for our model engines.......

2 stroke- 600-800
4 stroke- 800-1000

Under conditions "normally" associated with RC flying with typical fuel/energy source (nitro/gasoline).

The "variables" are how hard you can work an engine. Had an ex wife that could work a car engine and a credit card like a nuclear explosion.

Two strokes have a lot of built in cooling just because of how the fuel works. Inefficient combustion so excess fuel carries heat out of the cylinder, and the excess oil also carries heat out.

Start running the af ratio lean and the cylinder temps will blow a hole through the piston. I think that'd be tough to do on an rc engine though just how the carbs are setup, your tuning options are pretty broad compared to say a motorcycle carburetor.

Aluminum melts at 1250°F, and most engines will handle spikes of temperature above that, but not for prolonged periods, and there's a zillion factors that contribute to the fate of it.