• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Event Coverage 2015 ~ Cumberland Summer Soaring

JimD

50cc
Date: July 16-20

Place: HighPoint Aviation Airfield
(located atop Knobley Mountain in WV near Cumberland, MD)

This will be the third year for this event on this approximate date. Over the forty-eight years that the Cumberland Fall Soar for Fun has been held at this same location each November, many requested the addition of a warm weather event. An event in early October has tried five years ago, but deemed to be too close to the traditional November date. Then and event was held in September, but date overlapped other events. Then the July date was picked and has seemed to be the best fit since.

The HighPoint Aviation Airfield now has the distinction of hosting three soaring events each year. We Start the season with our Spring Soar for Fun in March and end the season with our Fall Soar for Fun in November. Then there is the July Cumberland Summer Soaring event right in the middle.

A few early birds are coming in on Wednesday and planning to stay through Monday making it a six day event! We are busy getting our new facility ready and trying to keep the grass mowed!

If you have never tried aerotowing and would like to try or just come and see what it is like, we would be glad to have you visit.

882.JPG

JimD

50cc
Sleepy, the night sky is awesome! We generally stay at the field Saturday evening and have a picnic dinner. Flying goes right on into the night. We always have at least several campers who stay at the field for the week.

Here is a typical late sunset picture shortly before the blue sky becomes the black of night.

100_1387.jpg

JimD

50cc
We got the hay cut today, so the surrounding hay field will be wide open for those who just can't regulate themselves to runway landings!

image.jpg1_zpsoehy7gnu.jpg

JimD

50cc
image.jpg
Len, Gunny, Steve, Mike, Jeremy, Tom, Cliff, Erich, and Burt all arrived today. Early on, Len helped me mow the field (I think he likes my John Deere) and then the other guys started rolling in. We got in a fair amount of flying and then sent out for Hartley's Pizza for dinner at the field.

JimD

50cc
Two flights under my belt on the new ASW20...only add a couple of clicks of down, otherwise, it was perfectly straight and true. This model is a home run for Horizon Hobby!

image.jpg

JimD

50cc
BTW, we fly stuff like this too!

Len got a lot of flight time yesterday and today on his Hangar 9 35% Extra 300.

image.jpg