• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Electric setup receiver battery pack necessary?

Suds

50cc
Do you need to run an additional battery pack for the receiver/servos on a 30cc electric setup?

As Bloosee stated, with a 6-8S setup, a good ESC should have a capable BEC on board.

HV setups can use a high capacity BEC such as: Castle BEC Pro, ZTW 12A BEC, Jeti 12A BEC, or equivalent.

Rich B

50cc
I just wondered how much battery power would be lost without using a separate battery for the receiver/servos... we all know the bigger motors love to drain batteries pretty fast.

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
I just wondered how much battery power would be lost without using a separate battery for the receiver/servos... we all know the bigger motors love to drain batteries pretty fast.

As you said, big motors drain power, the amount of power to run the electronics would be miniscule in comparison.

Here's a real world for you. I have a separate RX battery in my 71 Extra, I'm using a 6S 6000 for the main pack. The RX pack is 1300 2S, after 4 flights the RX battery shows 3.95V/cell. That battey is running 5 digital servos, the RX, and a demon Cortex gyro.

Heli guys use BEC's probably the majority of time on large 12S helicopters with no problem. The drain from the electrical system is very minimal and really can be discounted from your decision process as to whether to use a BEC or a receiver pack.

On LV (6S and under systems) I wouldn't even think about it, I would definitely use the BEC available in numerous ESC's.

Rich B

50cc
I have a 10S motor that I am experimenting with, I am going to see how it does on an 8S (battery weight savings) setup first and may decide to go with 10S. My 120A HV ESC does not have a IBEC, so I am using a 12A UBEC. Servos are all digital but are 6V, but I do plan on going HV in the future. I just wanted to get a better undertanding on how larger electric setups where done. Thanks for the information.