• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Electric Competes and Finishes 2nd in Advanced

gregm

IMAC Flyer
Since I had a lot of questions about my electric setup, here are the details.

Thanks to everyone that put on a great event.

- Greg Marsden

Jtec 2.7m Extra 300 CS

Weight - 20.5 lbs without batteries, 26-28 lbs RTF depending on battery capacity.

Hacker Q80-6L motor

Falcon 26x12 propeller

MGM 250-X2-Pro ESC

Revolectrix (4) 427HV 6S 5000mAhr as 12S2P for a single IMAC seqence

HK Nano-tech 6S 8000mAhr and Revolectrix 6S 5000mAhr as 12S2P for 2 IMAC sequences

Futaba 12FG Transmitter

Futaba R6208 and R6303 Receivers, one per A/C side

A123 1100mAh battery, one per A/C side

Futaba Servos, a BLS175SV per elevator, a BLS177SV per aileron and rudder

16023=10862-photo-1-2048.jpg
16023=10862-photo-1-2048.jpg

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
congrats on a good showing Greg!

i might have to photoshop some muffler pipes under the cowling though, my brain is having trouble processing that photo! :)

gregm

IMAC Flyer
McFueler;16036 wrote: I gave you a 10 on your sound score everytime I judged advanced !!!!

Thanks for that, suprisingly to me and Wayne Mathews as well, that some judges chose to give me as low as a 7. Since I flew most flights and never heard my airplane at all, I am not sure why.

I think noise is a serious problem facing IMAC in some regions, and unless the sound scores are realistic, there is no incentive to develop new technologies. There is a lot that can be done with props, mufflers, soft mounts to reduce airframe noise and throttle management, but it will not happen until we start seeing low scores for the loud aircraft and prop ripping flying styles.

Cheers - Greg

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
gregm;16058 wrote: Thanks for that, suprisingly to me and Wayne Mathews as well, that some judges chose to give me as low as a 7. Since I flew most flights and never heard my airplane at all, I am not sure why.

I think noise is a serious problem facing IMAC in some regions, and unless the sound scores are realistic, there is no incentive to develop new technologies. There is a lot that can be done with props, mufflers, soft mounts to reduce airframe noise and throttle management, but it will not happen until we start seeing low scores for the loud aircraft and prop ripping flying styles.

Cheers - Greg

I was looking at some of the individual score sheets. Strange how two judges give a 10 on the sound and the third give a 3. Air space control and sound seem to be very subjective to judge.

Do-rag

100cc
Capt. Roll;16110 wrote: I was looking at some of the individual score sheets. Strange how two judges give a 10 on the sound and the third give a 3. Air space control and sound seem to be very subjective to judge.

First let me state I do not compete in IMAC but have considered it. I have been an IMAC member off and on and have even attended a judging school. With that said I have heard and seen this very issue discussed many times. I know that if I spent the time and effort that this gentleman has and got that subjective of a score then I would have issues. I commend him on his efforts and composure.

Kevin-Young

70cc twin V2
Greg,

As you know we could not be more excited that you choose to fly the 2.7 Extra 300CS in the Worlds and you did an absolutely phenomenal job with it. Not only did you fly it beautifully but the job you did building it was incredible as well.

I had the opportunity to scribe for one of the judges (who gave you a 10 for sound) and my only guess is that some of the other judges did not realize that it was electric and where actually hearing some of the other planes in the air and assuming that your was making noise as well. When Helmut told us about some of the sound scores we had to laugh because it just did not make any sense.

Thanks again,

Kevin

kevin young;16144 wrote: greg,

as you know we could not be more excited that you choose to fly the 2.7 extra 300cs in the worlds and you did an absolutely phenomenal job with it. Not only did you fly it beautifully but the job you did building it was incredible as well.

I had the opportunity to scribe for one of the judges (who gave you a 10 for sound) and my only guess is that some of the other judges did not realize that it was electric and where actually hearing some of the other planes in the air and assuming that your was making noise as well. When helmut told us about some of the sound scores we had to laugh because it just did not make any sense.

Thanks again,

kevin

+1

thanks!!!