• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Drilling out hinge points

kork

70cc twin V2
I was looking for another way to remove hinge points and ran across an idea from a thread I was reading.
It works rather well. I stopped by my local hobby shop and picked up a piece of brass tubing and
after a couple runs on the belt sander and a Xacto knife for the inside radius edge.
We had ourselves a awesome cutting device.
Super smooth in and out and it removed all points without any problems.
Try it...

Attachments

• IMG_0073.JPG
    IMG_0073.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 550
  • IMG_0068.JPG
    IMG_0068.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_0076.JPG
    IMG_0076.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 516
  • IMG_0067.JPG
    IMG_0067.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_0069.JPG
    IMG_0069.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 473
  • IMG_0070.JPG
    IMG_0070.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_0066.JPG
    IMG_0066.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 497
  • IMG_0072.JPG
    IMG_0072.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_0077.JPG
    IMG_0077.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 495

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
thanks for the photos. learning to pull the hinges and redo flying surfaces helps to make a lot of beat up old airplanes flyable! and i love old airplanes!

Aren't the new holes quite a bit bigger than the old holes? How do you fill the gap when you put the new hinges in?

Bipeguy03

150cc
That is really the only way to do it.

When I rebuilt my Trueworthy Pitts, I cut the hinges off with the dremel, but because I was recovering it I just beveled what was left of the hinge down and then filled in any voids with balsa putty.

I will say I learned with my Pitts that Gorilla Glue is a PAIN IN THE @$$ to remove without damaging the balsa!

Bipeguy03

150cc
Aren't the new holes quite a bit bigger than the old holes? How do you fill the gap when you put the new hinges in?

The trick is to make sure to use the correct size tubing, can't think of the right size off hand but the last time I did it the new hinges fit great.

They aren't quite as tight as brand new holes but they aren't loose enough to cause problems.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!

i used a size smaller than what it looks like Kork used in his photos. if you clip what's left of the hinge point off then the smaller size tube will still get the hinge without taking as much wood. just see what the smallest tube is that a new hinge will slide into and go with that. then you don't end up having to use as much epoxy to fill the gaps.