• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DLE-55 spitting too much gas back .

js-rc

70cc twin V2
Just noticed a whole bunch of fuel on my throttle servo, which is pretty close to the back of the motor, or carb. I just leaned the eng. out more , mostly on the bottom end a couple weeks ago. I did forget to turn on the optikill switch once & it was really flooded when I removed the plug.  Do I need to lean that bottom end out a little more ?

Thanks, John

bob_nj

70cc twin V2
How much time on the engine?

Has it always done this, or just started?

I tuned and leaned my DLE 30 yesterday and it still gets dirty.Are you running the recommended 30:1 oil mix? So many questions... Take careBob 

Mikeq

150cc
js/rc said
Just noticed a whole bunch of fuel on my throttle servo, which is pretty close to the back of the motor, or carb. I just leaned the eng. out more , mostly on the bottom end a couple weeks ago. I did forget to turn on the optikill switch once & it was really flooded when I removed the plug.  Do I need to lean that bottom end out a little more ?

Thanks, John
How does it run?  Spitting fuel from the carburetor isn't normal..might take the cab off and  check your diaphragm and needle valve to make sure it is seating properly.

js-rc

70cc twin V2
Thanks Bob & Mike !! I've had the plane for almost 5 years but only have maybe 75 flights & all less than 10 minute flights. The eng. seems broke in as there's really not any black stuff getting on the airframe. Also running 40:1 Belray oil . Also , I found all this goopy stuff on the gasket  & in the little screen in the carb. I had just tuned it to where the plug was running a nice brown . I run the 40:1 mix cause that's what they were all saying a few years ago. 

Thanks again for the help !!

The goopy stuff on the gasket can be from the ethanol in the fuel as it draws in moisture, which is why I use only ethanol free fuel in my planes and even in my lawn equipment to avoid having problems like these. Gas with ethanol also has a shorter shelf life as well. Pure-gas.org has lists of ethanol free gas for different areas around the U.S. hope this helps.  Gary

js-rc

70cc twin V2
Thanks Gary !  That does help & we do have an ethanol free place about 40 or so miles away, so I will be getting that next flying season as I think we're pretty much done flying this year. 

Thanks again !!

John

emtp275

100cc
When working on some two strokes carbs that spray fuel can be a sign of reed valves not sealing properly, that being said have you checked them? Maybe the reed mod will help this issue.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
When working on some two strokes carbs that spray fuel can be a sign of reed valves not sealing properly, that being said have you checked them? Maybe the reed mod will help this issue.
Many forums around regarding the reed blocks, timing and overall carb adjusting on these little animals. Once done properly, that lil DLE 55 will preform like a well tuned 3dub. I have two of them running Bowman rings on both. All updates done and they are little screamers. Yanks my 30%'ers straight up like a rocket ship to the moon at about 3/8 throttle. @js-rc, if you get hold of Frank Bowman, he will send you all the information he has compiled regarding the DLE motors. Especially the 55. Can only attest that I have done them, and you just can't believe the world of difference it made.
Frank Bowman: ringmaster46@msn.com

js-rc

70cc twin V2
Many forums around regarding the reed blocks, timing and overall carb adjusting on these little animals. Once done properly, that lil DLE 55 will preform like a well tuned 3dub. I have two of them running Bowman rings on both. All updates done and they are little screamers. Yanks my 30%'ers straight up like a rocket ship to the moon at about 3/8 throttle. @js-rc, if you get hold of Frank Bowman, he will send you all the information he has compiled regarding the DLE motors. Especially the 55. Can only attest that I have done them, and you just can't believe the world of difference it made.
Frank Bowman: ringmaster46@msn.com

Thanks Stangflyer !! I already installed the Bowman ring & will attempt that reed mod next & even talked to Frank on the phone ! I've been putting it off afraid I would get the parts mixed up, or upside down or something ha !! At least I have about 3 more months of winter to figure it out !!
Thanks, John !!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Not to worry John. Just take your time, lay things out methodically. And a little trick I sometimes use....cuz I'm gettin' old....hee hee, use your cell phone for picture reference. If all else fails...plenty of pictures on the net and lots of really cool Cats here on GSN that are willing to assist.