• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DLE 35RA Muffler bolts

wfahey415

3DRCF Moderator
Thanks for the input guys. I flew the YAK today and didn't have any issues with the muffler. I will run by Auto Zone and get the Copper RTV and brake cleaner to try on the 35RA.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Curious to see how everybody's various muffler securing methods have been working out for the DLE35RA and the stock muff.
Mine hasn't come loose after about 3-4 gallons more by ditching the gasket and using Red RTV, clean bolts, and with Nordlock washers as previously mentioned.

wfahey415

3DRCF Moderator
I switched to the copper RTV on my 50cc planes and that appears to be working well so I did the same with my 35ra and put it on a Pilot Extra 330 this week. If the weather holds, I will test it out on Saturday.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Copper RTV on the muff and bolt threads yah? Seems like that has been a easy, working, readily available alternative to nordlocks, and locktite. I think we all agreed that cleaning the bolt threads and casting threads prior to RTV, locktite, or nordlocks have been the way to go.

Rubbernecker

New to GSN!
I know this is an old thread, but it seems the problem is with the convex shoulder on the bolt. I went to True Value and got same size bolts without the shoulder. I then made a bott bit (a mill bit would do the same) and cut away the convex portion of the muffler so it would be a clean 90 degree shoulder. That with the nordlocks, and my muffler has not moved in 3 gallons of fuel.

John