• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Dle 30

So I have decided to try my dle 30 on my extra I contacted frank bowman to get a ring shipped to me and I plan on doing Reed mod is there anything else I should do I was told to put a 18x8 prop mix 40-1 stihl ultra and fly damn thing just go easy on it first few tanks if my 30 don't fly it the way I want I will buy 35 or os 33 the os looks like direct bolt it no need to drill new hopes in firewall I think I was over thinking the 30 not having enough power I have read in another review a guy built one with mintor 33 and it came out weighing 11.3 lbs running two battery packs I will be running 1 with tech aero ibec at 11 pounds the 30 should fly plane nice any opinions greatly appreciated this will be my first gas plane I know there are lighter planes out there but the aero-works freestyle extra just does something for me thanks Ben

gyro

GSN Contributor
Ben,

I also have a DLE 30, and it runs great. I installed the Bowman ring, and have a TON of compression. Honestly, aside from the ring and block mod, (and installing the NGK plug) you should be good to go. I broke in my engine with an 18x8 for the first half gallon or so of lawn boy, then moved to the 19x8 and I'm really happy with it now.
The DLE30 hauls my 72" Extra around with authority, I'm sure you'll like it on your Extra as well.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Speaking of the DLE30, I had some trouble starting mine yesterday.
I did notice a failure in my fourtitude tank (o-ring split and separated from the vent port, and was loose in the tank), so I took it back to the LHS and got a new one. They contacted Jason Danhakl, and it was covered under warranty.
I figured since I had the tank out, I might as well pull the engine and inspect it, since I'm officially done breaking it in, and have shifted to VP 40:1 powermix.

It had a little carbon goo caked on the top of the piston, so I cleaned that off, but otherwise the combustion chamber looked awesome. I pulled the carb, and took a peak at the reed block. I had previously only sanded the spots where the reeds lay, so this time I inspected the rest:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371403626.236305.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1371403642.835671.jpg
It needed a little work, so I cut the burrs off with an exacto, and then sanded the rest of the block.
I also noticed a tiny bit of seepage around the gasket:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371403717.903425.jpg
So I made sure those areas are flat now. I tightened everything down real well... Maybe too tight? Now my choke is really hard to move... I'm going to try and add a pinch of oil there, and see if I can work it in so that it moves freely again. I'll report back.

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
I think I remember reading something to the effect that you can "warp" the reed block if you tighten the carb down too tight. Even though the reed block is molded from a hard thermo-plastic it can compress/bend. Use some blue thread lock and just hand tighten the carb bolts.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I think I remember reading something to the effect that you can "warp" the reed block if you tighten the carb down too tight. Even though the reed block is molded from a hard thermo-plastic it can compress/bend. Use some blue thread lock and just hand tighten the carb bolts.

Thanks Rex. I loosened the bolts attaching the carb to the motor, and the choke moves easier now. Thanks for the pointer.

Of course I'm running a single bolt conversion but with just the FB ring amy DLE 30 puts out 20 1/2 lbs of thrust on an APC 18/6W. She turns 8900 on the ground. It pulls my 10.5 lb plane around like a rag doll.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Of course I'm running a single bolt conversion but with just the FB ring amy DLE 30 puts out 20 1/2 lbs of thrust on an APC 18/6W. She turns 8900 on the ground. It pulls my 10.5 lb plane around like a rag doll.

Wow! 20lb of thrust? That thing is a beast!!

gyro

GSN Contributor
So I've been having this battle with my DLE30, and I finally figured it out: 20x7 Falcon CF.

My engine was running at an obscene 9500 rpm in flight on both the Falcon and Xion Carbon Fiber 19x8 props, and Tom from VVRC said I needed to get it down to ~8500.

I tried a 20x8 Xoar Sword: too slow to spool up.
I tried a 19x10 Xoar Laminated: also too slow.

So I asked [MENTION=271]Enterprise[/MENTION] and he figured the 20x7 would work perfectly, and it did. Max RPM was down to 8500-8600 today, and while I was a little rich, (it'll probably jump another 100 when I lean it out) I like those peak rpm numbers much better, and the downline braking was awesome.

I've really got a little powerhouse! Only thing I did was break in for 1 gallon on lawnboy, and used a bowman ring from the start. That's it!