• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DLE-170 - What version

thurmma

150cc
Hello everyone!

Does anyone know how to tell which version of the DLE-170 I have? Do you go by serial numbers, looks or both? Also, what are the changes between versions? I have heard that there was a reed issue with one version, but I don't know which.

This question is coming up because my 170 has ran flawlessly through about 4 gallons of gas and the last few flights, even before the re3's, it has been trying to lean out on an upline. I have opened up the low end just a smidge and the top end a lot, but it doesn't appear to make any difference at all. I can get the bottom end to run rich, but not the top end. I did get the engine temps down to about 215-225 on the ground after an extended full throttle run on the ground, but that is it. I noticed that the rpm would be great at the beginning of the run and then start to drop off after about 15 seconds or so. I will be doing some baffling over the weekend, but I haven't changed anything on the plane up to this point and it has ran great.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

BTW, the plane is a 3DHS 120" 330LX. Also, running premium ethanol free with Redline at 30:1.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I don't thing there were versions of that one, at least not that I heard. The one thing I did with mine was purchase a carb for a DA150 from DA, ran like a watch until I sold it. Probably 12-15 gallons easy.

How far out on the H needle are you? I think mine was always right at about 2 turns out, 1 7/8 is stock starting position. I would say if you can get the engine warm, turn the H needle out to 2.5, go full throttle for a good 10 seconds and than can it down to idle in one swift motion.......if it just goes to idle you have an issue, or worse yet stays at a high idle and settles down to idle. If it goes way down in RPM and then comes back up you are actually rich on the H at that setting.

If you can't make it rich on the H I'd guess there is a snafoo in the H speed needle. I've had a couple of DLE carbs that would not run beyond half throttle out of the box, switch carb, runs great.

thurmma

150cc
Thank you Terry. I will have to recheck, but I think I am right about 2 full turns on the H needle. Weather is going to crap fast, so it may be a few days before I can run it again, but I will definitely try what you suggested.