• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DA170 Pipe Recommendations

Hi all, I'd appreciate some advice. Am getting ready to put together my first "40%-er". Plan is to use a DA170 on pipes, but the question is - which pipes? The ones I'm considering are really RE3 vs KS1090 although I'd happily hear other good options too. Can anyone share any experiences please?

Cant go wrong with either.
@Bunky.F.Knuckle after posting this question, I did some further reading on other forums and there seemed to be a fair few folks suggesting the RE3s weren't bringing the best out of the engine. Have you run both types on the DA170, as I would be interested to hear how they actually compare head-to-head in flight?

Last edited:

Dan767

70cc twin V2
I have a DA170 in my PAU 42% Extra with RE 3's. If I were to do it again, either KS 1090's or MTW TD115K canisters. If you don't have or can't get the header length long enough, the RE3's will be peaky in a small area, which means a need for a throttle curve. RE3's are also prone to clogging over time.

After using RE3 and Planebender smooth pipes I will never go with RE3s again. The smooth pipes are just that. Great top end power with a much smoother transition.

Hi all, I'd appreciate some advice. Am getting ready to put together my first "40%-er". Plan is to use a DA170 on pipes, but the question is - which pipes? The ones I'm considering are really RE3 vs KS1090 although I'd happily hear other good options too. Can anyone share any experiences please?
When I flew with a DA170, I had originally used a KS1090 set of pipes, complete with the KS soft mounts. The mounts were secure and did not "crimp" the mufflers as the silicone holders do.

The engine was powerful with that combination, complete with a 29x12N 3 blade Mezjlik prop. I think I flew that combo for 2 years before going with the DA200 and Pro-Flo mufflers.

I personally found that after 1 year of use, the 1090 developed a "rattle" inside the pipes, and also sounded louder.... Over that Winter, I pulled out the mufflers and was able to shake out pieces of metal that were actually the baffles breaking apart inside. I am not sure if I am the only person who experienced that "rattle" situation.

I never tried the RE3's simply because my friend, who had the same airplanes and engine with the RE3's installed, definitely did not have the same performance I had and he eventually sold them and changed to the 1090 pipes instead.
Wayne