• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DA120 running rich?

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
While repairing the landing gear section of my Edge I had it upside down and noticed not bad but enough oil exhaust build up in the mufflers pipes to ask. How much residue is normal?

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Hard to give you an answer. Usually at the end of the day flying I stick some paper towels up the exhaust to prevent it leaking in the car. But it does not take to many times and they are pretty well soaked and need to be changed.

Milby Dunn II

New to GSN!
While repairing the landing gear section of my Edge I had it upside down and noticed not bad but
While repairing the landing gear section of my Edge I had it upside down and noticed not bad but enough oil exhaust build up in the mufflers pipes to ask. How much residue is normal?

enough oil exhaust build up in the mufflers pipes to ask. How much residue is normal?
Depends
Make sure you're using a correct oil to gas ratio... if you are running rich and having trouble with the needles on the engine, you might want to adjust oil to gas ratio. More than likely, it sounds like normal oil discharge from the exhaust. I always have to wipe clean at least some oil after flying.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
If the needles are right and the engine is getting to the proper temperature there should not be any noticeable oil residue. I have not wiped an airframe down after final tune in many years, as a matter of fact the Red Eagle Pitts shown in the pic has not been wiped down for oil in five years.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    456.4 KB · Views: 520

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I'm probably fine, haven't used mufflers in years so my normal residue is probably buried in canisters.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Just make sure your tune is correct and you're using a good oil ratio with a good oil. I run Redline 32:1 (I have one engine that needs 32:1, otherwise it'd be at 40:1) through mine and I never really get a strong oil buildup even after a couple dozen flights.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I use Stihl Ultra Synthetic at 50-1. My goto engine for years was my 3W-106, this 120 is a beast.

TonyHallo

150cc
Sounds like an oil war is brewing!!!! To be honest I've used everything under the sun and never had a problem with any engine, my string line trimmer is 24 years old and just rebuild the carb two years ago, pump gas. It gets same fuel as the planes.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I use Stihl Ultra Synthetic at 50-1. My goto engine for years was my 3W-106, this 120 is a beast.
I use the Stihl Ultra also because it is the most convenient to get where I am at, five minutes away. I use to run 50-1 but it was not quite enough for the four strokes so now I am at 40-1.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I use to do 50 : 1 but dropped down to 40:1 but if you asked why or did I feel difference no not at all just that it was strongly recommended by DA but I had run 50:1 for many years with zero failures. Not going to get into what type of oil or why. Believe any reputable oil works.