• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DA 70 Twin Questions

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey everyone, I have a really great opportunity to pick up a BRAND NEW never seen fuel DA 70 twin and brand new mufflers as well as all hardware for 750 dead presidents. How many of you out there are familiar with this engine? Being DA, it should run like a top right? What about plane? Any suggestions on a plane for this sweet looking twin? Spark plugs: Are they going to be hard to keep inside a cowl on a plane the correct size for this power plant? Power wise, what could it be compared to? 60cc single? 65? Anyone with more insight and knowledge on this motor and an awesome choice for its new home, please chime in. Like I need another plane. But this is just too tempting to let it get it away.

Robotech

70cc twin V2
Hey everyone, I have a really great opportunity to pick up a BRAND NEW never seen fuel DA 70 twin and brand new mufflers as well as all hardware for 750 dead presidents. How many of you out there are familiar with this engine? Being DA, it should run like a top right? What about plane? Any suggestions on a plane for this sweet looking twin? Spark plugs: Are they going to be hard to keep inside a cowl on a plane the correct size for this power plant? Power wise, what could it be compared to? 60cc single? 65? Anyone with more insight and knowledge on this motor and an awesome choice for its new home, please chime in. Like I need another plane. But this is just too tempting to let it get it away.
Do it. The DA70 has proven to be an excellent engine. But then you come to expect that from DA. There was a little glitch with reeds but the mod is available @ N/C. IIRC they send you a new set and you clip the old ones off short to double up and stiffen.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
DA70 is the shiznit, more power than DA70. I had two but traded one to a friend. Mine runs like a top and swings a 25 x 8w falcon and rips like crazy. Love that engine. Mine is on a 91" EF and most planes that the engine will fit in will require a plug relief on the left side. No biggy let the awesome hang out a little.

Patroller

70cc twin V2
I don't think it will fit in the 50%....but I considered that engine for the EF Yak. That plane in the Russian Thunder scheme is really cool looking. I also drool over their Laser. Another plane would be Andrew Jeskey's Laser in the same size.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
DA70 is the shiznit, more power than DA70. I had two but traded one to a friend. Mine runs like a top and swings a 25 x 8w falcon and rips like crazy. Love that engine. Mine is on a 91" EF and most planes that the engine will fit in will require a plug relief on the left side. No biggy let the awesome hang out a little.
I've always liked the Sukhoi ever since I had my first of two Goldberg Sukhoi's back when I first got hooked in this hobby. Guess that is the reason why I fell in love with the big H-9. Since you have a PAU Sukhoi Terry, do you think the 70 twin would fit in the cowl? Or would it be too much motor for that plane? One other thing I should have mentioned. The same friend that has this twin also has a brand new never seen fuel Saito 57T gasser. He offered both of them to me for 1500. I have always loved my Saitos, but just can't do the glow thing. It's a real tough decision of the DA or the Satio or...ummm, both? Not really sure I want to get all wrapped up in smaller planes again.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
70 twin in the Sukhoi may be a bit much, it has great power with a 50cc and really great power with the DLE61. DA70 when broken in will fly a light 35%. @Bdegan did one in a 3DHS. Looked like it was not enough but proof that that engine is too much for a smaller sized 50cc airframe. The 90-94" sized planes are about perfect for it

Bhughes

70cc twin V2
When brad put it in the 103" extra it was also a repaired airframe that had been snapped in half lol. Coulda been a lot lighter if it was a new airframe