• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Custom Trailer with Slides

Len

30cc
This is the third trailer I have built, each one gets a littler bigger and a lot better.

Since being in the hobby for over 38 years and finally determining large Scale Sailplanes are the most enjoyable segment for me, along with the tow planes associated with getting them to altitude, I've designed a trailer specifically for that purpose.
I had the trailer box built to my specs, which consisted of the side door in the right place, the front V compartments the right size, a cooler compartments on the opposite side, exterior outlets, 12v and 120v
Generator compartment with inverter and lighting, both 120v and 12v
Insulation on walls and ceiling ( to keep it cool in the summer )
and best of all, a drop down shelf on the outside.
I drove down to NC to get the trailer. ( I live in CT ) When I turned into the lot, I was shocked to see how big it was. Oh well, I own it now.

trailer2.jpg
trailer3.jpg
trailer4.jpg
trailer5.jpg

Once back home with it, I started the construction right away. I had been planning this for a while and knew what I was going to do.
Because the planes I fly are big, I needed and easy way to get them in and out of the trailer without hurting my back, which is a bit sensitive. I also wanted to be sure the planes would not get damaged from hangar rash moving them in and out.
There are typically two tow planes, ( 150cc and 120 cc ) on board the trailer and 7 - 11 large sailplanes at any given time. Also, we carry a full line of spare parts, bolts, nuts, prop, etc. We usually can solve any issue that pops up on an aerotow weekend.
To do all this, the trailer had to be layed out for easy of use and efficiency.

Starting with painting the entire interior.
DSC_0835-2.jpg

Then onto cabinet making.
The cabinets are a combination drawers and doors. The compartments are used to double as walls for he front generator bay and misc bay.

DSC_0847-2.jpg
DSC_0847-3.jpg
DSC_0848-2.jpg
DSC_0856.jpg
DSC_0857.jpg

Next was the shelf for the metal Slides.. The slides were ordered from Slidemaster. They're ball bearing wheels that telescope out and allow full access whatever you have on it.
There are 4 units onboard. 2 narrow and 2 wide.

DSC_0837-2.jpg
DSC_0839.jpg
DSC_0840.jpg
DSC_0843.jpg
DSC_0848-3.jpg
DSC_0851.jpg
DSC_0865.jpg

We them built decks for the planes to sit on and be secured in place. I also figured on thicker side walls so we could mount planes right to them

Were are some pictures, all done.
After the first season, I added an electric telescoping awning. Best thing ever. Due to the black trailer color, it would be too hot to use the shelf for charging.

DSC_0744-2.jpg
DSC_0745.jpg
DSC_0746-2.jpg
DSC_0746.jpg
DSC_0750-2.jpg
DSC_0753-2.jpg

DSC_0755.jpg
DSC_0831-2.jpg
DSC_0832-2.jpg
DSCN0595.jpg
DSCN0597.jpg

Last edited:

wesley.

70cc twin V2
Holy $h$t that is nice!!! One question on the slide outs what are they where do you get them? I guess that was two questions.:lol2:

BalsaDust

That is some serious Badassness. Here I am just hobing to buy a 4'x8' harbor freight trailer in the next year or so and make my own enclosed trailer

Len

30cc
Thank you guys. I do appreciate the kind words.

Yes, they are slidemaster.
If anyone is interested in these, I have another 4 of these slides that were mistakenly sized, they're 9 ft long.

1/2 price each ( $500 ) + Shipping.

2- 22 wide
2-44 wide

You put you're own top deck on it however wide you want.

LEN

Len

30cc
The latest improvement was to add two solar panels ( Harbor Freight ) with a controller that switches it on and off. This keeps the system charged at all times.

Last few pictures
I was asked what I tow it with.. Originally a Toyota Tundra, which did perfectly fine but killed me in gas. Last spring I bought a Ford F-250 Diesel which gets better mileage. ( of course now the gas prices dropped )

Here in CT, its not a happy trailer right now, Very cold and lots of snow.

Thanks for looking.
IMG_1957.jpg
IMG_2065.jpg
IMG_3572.jpg

JimD

50cc
In his element at an aero tow event...the shop is open!

996bf7a831bcf41bde60c7adc1985c38_zps6683fd72.JPG

The locals at Len's home field pressed the work shelf into breakfast bar mode at the New England Aero Tow Event 2014 in Salem, CT.

0a3db8d21ff71d00c695b736b93fb3dd_zps87440cef.JPG

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Yes....very nice! Love the fold down side table and awning. Gotta build something like that on my itty-bitty 6x10.

Would love to see more of the planes...tow and sail!