• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Common setup for 71" Slick, 72" Extra, 74" Edge and Bigfoot?

dougb

50cc
I'm trying to come up with a common power/electronics setup for the 71" Slick, 72" Extra, 74" Edge and Bigfoot. Is this possible?

I prefer the efficiency and power of 8S however I do have a few 6S 5000 packs.

----------------------------
Hacker A50-12L with 6S 5000
-- or --
Hacker A50-14L with 8S 4000

Castle ICE 100 & Castle BEC PRO

Hitec HS-7955TG
----------------------------

The Hacker A60-5XS seems to be a possible solution too, would it work for my common setup goal?

Doug B.

Drew

70cc twin V2
Go 6S and a 20x10 prop, you will never look back. Ive ran the 8S and YES, tons of power, but your limited to what prop. I'm running Hacker A50-12L on 6S 5000 40C packs, Castle ICE 100, and Xoar 20x10 prop. Awesome 3D setup !!!!

G.P.

70cc twin V2
Not sure why 6s would have a wider range of props? First time I've heard that.

I run an 8s set up on all of my 25% (30cc) airframes. The best part is that you can use the single packs (4s) in the 55" - 60" airframes. Less packs = less $$$ and less maintenance.

My preffered setup:

Motrolfly 5320 - You can plan for any size of prop by buying the correct Kv, and Ken will custom wind if necessary.
Ice 100
BEC Pro
1258TG Savox Servos (Align 610)

I have found that the Motrolfly motors from Ken at Subsonicplanes.com run cooler than my Hackers and have fewer issues. When I have had issues Ken has taken care of me very fast and for free (even return shipping to Canada). Ken has even upgraded a motor that I bought used for free. Hacker on the other hand has helped me out, but it takes time and they charge for it (always shipping and sometimes parts). Note that with the Hackers you will be using it outside of it's parameters since they set the watt ratings ridiculously low. They handle it pretty well, but it's how they get around the warranty in my experience.

Here's some pics of my latest 5320, and my last two Hacker A50-14L's.

5320 side.jpg 5320 back.jpg 5320 Front.jpg 5320.jpg

The first Hacker apparently had an old design defect that allowed the big main bearing to come into contact with the windings if flown hard. When it happened it sprayed molten metal from the windings out of the cooling vents and into my cowling. It fried the esc too. Hacker warrantied the motor, but would not warranty the second one that I bought at the same time (less than 5 flights on both). Instead they told me that I had to wait until it failed...risking my airframe and frying another esc (plus more shipping since I had already sent it back with the failed motor). After some complaining they sold me a new design motor "at cost" (about 15-20% off retail) to replace the defective brand new motor that I had just bought. So I ended up buying 3 motors to get 2 good ones, plus all of the international shipping fees.

015 (6).jpg 016 (3).jpg

The second set of Hacker photos are what happened 2 minutes into the maiden of the updated motor. The prop ejected on the very first knife edge spin. Needles to say it never went back into an airframe and both of my new "updated" motors are still sitting in a drawer. I might use on on Bigfoot since it may not see such violent maneuvers. On the other hand I don't want to stick them in an airframe that I value.

017.jpg 019.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
That sucks... I remember reading about this when it happened on RCG. Very constructive post, with facts and not opinions. I appreciate your candor.

Have you tried addressing your concerns with hacker now? Maybe you could find a new home for those motors via the classifieds? I'm sure somebody would take them out of your drawer for the right price!
While they obvisously didn't work out for you, they still have a great reputation for quality. I wouldn't just put them away and forget about them.

In my two electric 70" Planes (the Velox and the Slick) I'm running a Motrolfly 5320-300 and a 4325-280, both on 8s, and wait for it... both with two 4s 4000 packs!
I also am a HUGE fan of the Align DS610 servos. I have them in my Slick, and they're also going in to the 72" Extra I'm building next. The 70" Velox got the Solar D771 servos.

-G

Santi8

70cc twin V2
Running a 6s 5000 on my 70 slick, hacker a50 12l with a 20x10 prop and love it. A little less power than the guys with the mf but I prefer swinging the bigger disc on this plane. Just my style, but the motrofly's are my preferred motor, I just bought my slick with this motor on it.

Did you say you're using 7955tg's on the 70?

G.P.

70cc twin V2
That sucks... I remember reading about this when it happened on RCG. Very constructive post, with facts and not opinions. I appreciate your candor.

Have you tried addressing your concerns with hacker now? Maybe you could find a new home for those motors via the classifieds? I'm sure somebody would take them out of your drawer for the right price!
While they obvisously didn't work out for you, they still have a great reputation for quality. I wouldn't just put them away and forget about them.

In my two electric 70" Planes (the Velox and the Slick) I'm running a Motrolfly 5320-300 and a 4325-280, both on 8s, and wait for it... both with two 4s 4000 packs!
I also am a HUGE fan of the Align DS610 servos. I have them in my Slick, and they're also going in to the 72" Extra I'm building next. The 70" Velox got the Solar D771 servos.

-G
Hacker did fix up the broken prop shaft for free. By free I mean they wouldn't just send me a new shaft. I had to ship the motor to the U.S.. It would have been way cheaper to just order a new shaft out of pocket, but I was hoping to get some kind of answer on why it happened. Finding out if it was a one in million fluke would have helped a lot to restore confidence in the motors. I never heard a word though, they just shpped the motor back after fixing it up.

I've thought about selling them, but felt like I would be pawning them off on someone else. You're right though, they would be great in the right application. I figured I would eventually find a home for them though.

Actually, I just ordered a Hanagar 9 1/4 Super Cub and floats. I just couldn't wait for Bigfoot anymore and I'm a sucker for scale STOL aircraft and float flying. I was planning on going with another Motrolfly, but it would probably be a great home for one of the Hackers. The recommended setup is around 2000 watts, so that should be just about right.

Super-Cub-HAN4540_Main-3-300x200.jpg + 108788077-260x260-0-0_hangar+9+1+4+scale+cub+floats.jpg + a5254831-238-Topmodel_CZ_Big_Wheels_200mm_Tundra_tires.jpg = :banana: