• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Check out the DLE-35RA

denney47

New to GSN!
dle1.jpg

In the past few years the 50cc market has been bigger than ever, but recently there has been in influx of available planes built around a 30cc platform. Due to the size, relatively low "buy-in", and overall convenience of storing and maintaining it is a category that is literally exploding with options. While the DLE-30 has been the engine of choice, DLE has stepped up once again and taken it to the next level! With the same basic dimensions it is almost a drop in replacement for the DLE-30. In fact most 30cc arfs are built around the dimensions of the DLE-30/35...

Back in June we received a prototype DLE-35RA. It took all of about a minute to decide to bolt it up and run some fuel through it. 20 minutes of bench running and tuning later it seemed like we couldn't get a plane together fast enough to fly this new beast! Here's a quick video of the first run after the initial tune:

[video=youtube;kS1sH1KIFhY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS1sH1KIFhY&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Out of the box it swings a 19x8 Xoar 3d prop around 7700RPM and transition is silky smooth! Besides performance the biggest difference is the rear exhaust. This reduces and most often eliminates the need to massacre those beautiful fiberglass cowls to fit around the exhaust.

dle2.jpg IMG-20120615-00521 (2).jpg

I've had the pleasure of flying the 30cc Slipstream RV-8 with the monster and engine performance in the air is even better than on the ground! You can go from WOT to a hard idle and back again without any concern for loading up and sagging. Our customers have put them on the 3DHS Extra 330s and Pilot RC 30cc Yaks as well with RAVE reviews!

Make sure and check us out for engine pricing as well as combo pricing with our 3DHS, Aeroworks and Valley View RC planes!

See you in the skies!

Last edited by a moderator:

joshgluck

100cc
First I want to say thanks to ValleryView for their great customer service! Tammy has been super helpful with all my questions and is the reason I am receiving my second DLE-35RA via fedex tomorrow. If you guys are looking for a place to grab a DLE and some props (among other things too), this is the place! They will even pre-drill props for DLE's multi bolt hubs for free and you can choose 12'oclock or 2'oclock positions based on your pref.

So now comes my question to those running this engine. I am about to install some Frank Bowman rings into the 35 and have read a bunch of info on this as well as the reed block mod. I have not though seen a lot of people doing the reed block mod on the 35, just the 20 and 30. I also noted in some of my reading that the 35ra has an updated reed block which makes me wonder if the mod is still needed. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
Josh

View attachment 1326

In the past few years the 50cc market has been bigger than ever, but recently there has been in influx of available planes built around a 30cc platform. Due to the size, relatively low "buy-in", and overall convenience of storing and maintaining it is a category that is literally exploding with options. While the DLE-30 has been the engine of choice, DLE has stepped up once again and taken it to the next level! With the same basic dimensions it is almost a drop in replacement for the DLE-30. In fact most 30cc arfs are built around the dimensions of the DLE-30/35...

Back in June we received a prototype DLE-35RA. It took all of about a minute to decide to bolt it up and run some fuel through it. 20 minutes of bench running and tuning later it seemed like we couldn't get a plane together fast enough to fly this new beast! Here's a quick video of the first run after the initial tune:

[video=youtube;kS1sH1KIFhY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS1sH1KIFhY&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Out of the box it swings a 19x8 Xoar 3d prop around 7700RPM and transition is silky smooth! Besides performance the biggest difference is the rear exhaust. This reduces and most often eliminates the need to massacre those beautiful fiberglass cowls to fit around the exhaust.

View attachment 1327 View attachment 1328

I've had the pleasure of flying the 30cc Slipstream RV-8 with the monster and engine performance in the air is even better than on the ground! You can go from WOT to a hard idle and back again without any concern for loading up and sagging. Our customers have put them on the 3DHS Extra 330s and Pilot RC 30cc Yaks as well with RAVE reviews!

Make sure and check us out for engine pricing as well as combo pricing with our 3DHS, Aeroworks and Valley View RC planes!

See you in the skies!

gyro

GSN Contributor
First I want to say thanks to ValleryView for their great customer service! Tammy has been super helpful with all my questions and is the reason I am receiving my second DLE-35RA via fedex tomorrow. If you guys are looking for a place to grab a DLE and some props (among other things too), this is the place! They will even pre-drill props for DLE's multi bolt hubs for free and you can choose 12'oclock or 2'oclock positions based on your pref.

So now comes my question to those running this engine. I am about to install some Frank Bowman rings into the 35 and have read a bunch of info on this as well as the reed block mod. I have not though seen a lot of people doing the reed block mod on the 35, just the 20 and 30. I also noted in some of my reading that the 35ra has an updated reed block which makes me wonder if the mod is still needed. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
Josh

Inspect the block. If you can feel ANY molding marks, burrs, or uneven surfaces, then sand them flat. If the reeds don't sit flush, it will run poorly or may not suck fuel.
Also, the bowman ring is just a different metal, and breaks in a little slower. It's great to improve compression on an older engine, but not "required" per-se on a new one. That said, I did the mod in my DLE-30...

afrye1

30cc
What 2 cycle oil should i use for my dle35 ra if lawn boy generation 2 oil is not available, this is for break in period, and after break in what can i use? Should I mix 30:1 also or 32:1

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
For break in, you can honestly use some basic 2-stroke Dino oil (non synthetic) and you should be fine for one gallon of break in.
Then switch to your synthetic of choice to make the engine last.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador

Thanks
Josh

Inspect the block. If you can feel ANY molding marks, burrs, or uneven surfaces, then sand them flat. If the reeds don't sit flush, it will run poorly or may not suck fuel.
Also, the bowman ring is just a different metal, and breaks in a little slower. It's great to improve compression on an older engine, but not "required" per-se on a new one. That said, I did the mod in my DLE-30...

I know this is a relatively "old" discussion but I figure I want to chime in.

My DLE 35ra has been flawless from the beginning and I haven't modded a single thing. I am running everything stock including the stock muffler. I have several gallons through mine and besides the occasional minor tuning adjustment or changing between planes I have not had to touch it.

3dNater

What 2 cycle oil should i use for my dle35 ra if lawn boy generation 2 oil is not available, this is for break in period, and after break in what can i use? Should I mix 30:1 also or 32:1

I am running stihl hp ultra. I picked it up at a local lawn mower shop. My engine LOVES it :D

3dNater

I am running something between 32:1 and 40:1. You dont need as much of the synthetic oil after break in. I would not run less oil than 40:1.

afrye1

30cc
Hey guys, i have a question, my dle 35ra throttle response seems sluggish when plane is flying, especially when i idle down, one other thing, i feel like my servo arm may be to long for the throttle. When i throttle up to around quarter throttle, its pretty much at full wide open, i really don't have a smooth transition from idle to wide open, i do have my endpoints set. Any ideas

Thanks