Damn I'm hungry
Big congrats on SUCCESS!! She's a beauty to boot . Impeccable workmanship!
View attachment 111048 The wings were redesigned to reduce weight, the wings were foam ribbed using 1/8" plywood joiners that lapped a bulkhead inside the fuselage. Four #8 cap screws joined the wings. Each complete wing weighted 1# 10 ounce completed, of course it didn't work! I would image if I made the joiners out of 45 degree plywood it would have worked out, that was my first thought when I looked at the failed joint, there was really only 1/16" of wood doing the work. I would also add a dowel bolts to the front of the wings . The plane flew very well, actually after the first few flights I learned it would slow down rather nicely.
I would not worry about the Byron design, I have seen many different Byron models over the years and never seen or heard of a failure other than stripping the treads on the aluminum extrusions. My friend had a G62 in his Glasair and put through the paces without failure.