• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion Best Aircraft for the 100cc Engines

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
Hey all,

I am looking for the planes that have incredible performance on the 100cc engine. Most of the 35% ers now are geared towards the 120cc, making those used 100cc engines nice and cheap. From what I have found, I see a few great options, but looking for opinions from the gurus (you fantastic people on this site). I am a builder but don't have too much experience with foam pieces... Anyway, here is the list I have that would be pretty awesome with a DA-100 or equivalent.

I am fishing since this will be my next big project:)

@Terryscustom Viper kit from Fibertechnmore
Fibertechnmore's Hyperlite 42%Slick 540
Aerobeez Extra 330 Reaper (@Xpress, please give some feedback on this guy?)

Let me know if there are others that would give similar performance to most other 35% planes with a 120cc!!!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Just finished building a ViperST. Great kit and the laser cutting is great and precise. The build was enjoyable and learnt a lot off new techniques. My biggest fear was the styrofoam wings because I had never done. So I built a small vacuum machine and played around with it and found that it was easy to do and there are some very helpful videos around including some from Terry. One thing be aware that by the time you are done this plane is going to be expensive. The only problem I had was getting the wing tube it took over 9 months. All said and done it is the best plane I have ever had the pleasure of owning.

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
I've priced a Viper out already. The Hyperlite would be pretty similar as well. That's when started looking for alternatives, and I found this Aerobeez Reaper. I have also looked at Hostetler plans and kits, but their old construction styles would need some heavy modification to get to the performance of today's airplanes.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
If I built another plane it would definitely be a Hyperlite. I would also look at J-Tec they also make some very good stuff. He is also on this site to help if you need some.

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
I was thinking more of the JTEC as needing the 120 for really awesome performance. @jtec/radiowave chime in and correct me if I am wrong:) I most definitely want the 3.1m MX2 Competition when I go BIG. After seeing those planes up close at the Tucson Shootout, I most definitely will get one eventually. Before I get to that size, I want to get a few more builds under my belt as well.

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
Looking at JTEC's website again, looks like the 2.7m planes would be very good with a 100cc? The foam sheeting services also intrigue me :)

Alky6

150cc
Looking at JTEC's website again, looks like the 2.7m planes would be very good with a 100cc? The foam sheeting services also intrigue me

I built the 2.7m extra CS version. Has the old DA 100 on it with a Mej 27-10. Extremely happy with it. Fly IMAC with it. Will go up as long as you want it to. A little short for really power hungry moves, but more than enough for what I need. Was my first "real" build. Built a .4o size pattern plane and some scratch foam planes prior to doing it. Goes together really easy. I was a bit nervous about the foam core wings, but, now I wouldn't hesitate. Super simple and realatively quick. Mine took quite a while to finish - but I have two boys (10 and 11) - so that is where most of my time went. Here is the link to the build thread:

https://giantscalenews.com/threads/jtec-2-7m-extra-300cs.1624/
IMG_3316.JPG

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey all,

I am looking for the planes that have incredible performance on the 100cc engine. Most of the 35% ers now are geared towards the 120cc, making those used 100cc engines nice and cheap. From what I have found, I see a few great options, but looking for opinions from the gurus (you fantastic people on this site). I am a builder but don't have too much experience with foam pieces... Anyway, here is the list I have that would be pretty awesome with a DA-100 or equivalent.

I am fishing since this will be my next big project:)

@Terryscustom Viper kit from Fibertechnmore
Fibertechnmore's Hyperlite 42%Slick 540
Aerobeez Extra 330 Reaper (@Xpress, please give some feedback on this guy?)

Let me know if there are others that would give similar performance to most other 35% planes with a 120cc!!!
My .02 cents worth of opinion here. When speaking of 100cc engines and looking for appropriate airframe, a couple of things need to be considered here. First, are we talking 100cc DA or 100cc 3W? 100cc of another brand? I hope I don't make anyone mad, but the DA 100 is a tested and true little brute. But 100cc's only goes just so far. I have seen a DA 100 perform well on a Krill 33% Extra and it was good. Not fantastic, but good. No one can really even touch DA's warranty and service either. Now if you are talking 3w 100cc class engines, then that is a whole different story. The 3w106cs is "nearly" as powerfull as the 110cs. Both swing the same size prop which happens to be the same size prop as the DLE 111 and 120, DA 120, RCGF 120, BE 124, EME 120 and so many more. Some difference in rpm, but not too shabby for it's size. It is also going to depend on what type of flying you plan to do with the plane. While a 100cc engine will perform good on most 100-120cc airframes under most normal situations. But will be a tad shy of performance when doing extreme 3d or like type flying. Also, another thing to consider is the all up weight of the plane the 100cc engine is going on. Most 35% planes will come in around the high 26's to 31 pound ranges. The things I would be considering when contemplating an airframe for a 100cc engine would be first, What type of flying do I intend for the plane. Second, weight of the plane... and last, the available airframes appropriate for the previous decisions made. Final deciding factor would be the amount I wanted to spend for an engine. Personally, I will take a 3w any day of the week if I can afford it. Extreme Flight has some very nice airframes that would be suited nicely for an engine of that size. Another option could be, spend a couple extra bucks for a 120cc class engine. Then mount it in "any" airframe that suits your fancy.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
My .02 cents worth of opinion here. When speaking of 100cc engines and looking for appropriate airframe, a couple of things need to be considered here. First, are we talking 100cc DA or 100cc 3W? 100cc of another brand? I hope I don't make anyone mad, but the DA 100 is a tested and true little brute. But 100cc's only goes just so far. I have seen a DA 100 perform well on a Krill 33% Extra and it was good. Not fantastic, but good. No one can really even touch DA's warranty and service either. Now if you are talking 3w 100cc class engines, then that is a whole different story. The 3w106cs is "nearly" as powerfull as the 110cs. Both swing the same size prop which happens to be the same size prop as the DLE 111 and 120, DA 120, RCGF 120, BE 124, EME 120 and so many more. Some difference in rpm, but not too shabby for it's size. It is also going to depend on what type of flying you plan to do with the plane. While a 100cc engine will perform good on most 100-120cc airframes under most normal situations. But will be a tad shy of performance when doing extreme 3d or like type flying. Also, another thing to consider is the all up weight of the plane the 100cc engine is going on. Most 35% planes will come in around the high 26's to 31 pound ranges. The things I would be considering when contemplating an airframe for a 100cc engine would be first, What type of flying do I intend for the plane. Second, weight of the plane... and last, the available airframes appropriate for the previous decisions made. Final deciding factor would be the amount I wanted to spend for an engine. Personally, I will take a 3w any day of the week if I can afford it. Extreme Flight has some very nice airframes that would be suited nicely for an engine of that size. Another option could be, spend a couple extra bucks for a 120cc class engine. Then mount it in "any" airframe that suits your fancy.

I have a DA100 on a Hangar 9 Extra 260 (the older discontinued plane) and it flies sweet and true and is a lot of fun, however when it comes to performance it is not in the ballpark with the DA120 in the same size plane. Of the two, I would go DA120 class any day. I have a DA120 on my EF 104 and it is ballistic which I really like. I like raw horses pumping when I go vertical. OK, I realize these things are not rockets, but sometimes that is just plain out fun X 1000.

As far as a workhorse and longevity, the DA100 will be there. It runs a like a sewing machine and is faithful to start the same always and smooth throughout the throttle range. I had thought about selling this combo as it does not fit my style of flying, yet each time I think about it, I tell myself no. Might change my mind at some point if an airframe combo becomes available that I really want to try. :D

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I would think you would want a 26-28 lb plane, something with a 102"ish ws. I fly a 107" ws Yak with a 3W-106 and love it. However, it is not an overly powered plane.