• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Another battery setup question

First post so bear with me...

I am ordering a Redwing 50cc Slick 540 tomorrow and I'm trying to make sure of the battery setup best to use on this plane. I have narrowed it down to this for simplicity and trying to stay as light as possible.

I am considering going with a single Life 3000 for both Rx and ign.

From the battery's jr connection to a single Miracle switch, then connect deans end to y harness. From one side of y harness to Rx, other side of harness to tech aero ibec then to ignition from there.

I have also seen a y harness to two ports in the Rx as well. What are the benefits of this and am I going about this one battery thing correctly.

Thanks for the help in advance,

Erik

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
First let me say CONGRATS! What a nice plane!

I would highly suggest you go with two batteries or more... but this is only preference and not a rule but the extra redundancy is really a nice thing to have especially on a bigger bird like the 50cc! You don't want that pretty plane going down over $40 for an extra battery. What RX are you using by the way?

I'll be using a Spk AR8000. My other planes have a two battery setup, but I have heard of a lot of people going with one and I like the idea of less connections, 1 switch, and weight reduction. I'm wanting to go as light as possible with this one. It's not about saving a dollar or two. Correct me if I'm wrong... With two batteries, if the Rx battery goes out it will kill the Rx and engine together b/c of opto kill switch. GOING DOWN FAST. If just the ign batt goes, plane goes down slower depending on where you're at in the moment. Could still be a disaster... With 1 battery, it would be the same as the first statement with two batteries.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
If weight is the deciding factor then you're doing the right thing.

Here is a picture from the manual that will help with your question. Looks to me (I haven't setup an IBEC before but looks simple enough) that you need the battery to the switch then the switch lead to the battery input on the rx. The IBEC is plugged into the RX. Here is some info from the manual.

The Ultra IBEC plugs into a spare receiver auxiliary channel and provides power to the CDI ignitionmodule, while safely isolating the receiver and servos from high frequency ignition noise that may bepresent on the wiring path between it and the CDI module. It can also be connected to power busexpander products, provided that an auxiliary channel capability is available at that connection point.

Link to Manual: http://www.tech-aero.net/ultra-ibec/UltraIBECUsersManualr2.2.pdf?attredirects=0

techaero.jpg

Hope that helps.

SnowDog

I'll be using a Spk AR8000. My other planes have a two battery setup, but I have heard of a lot of people going with one and I like the idea of less connections, 1 switch, and weight reduction. I'm wanting to go as light as possible with this one. It's not about saving a dollar or two. Correct me if I'm wrong... With two batteries, if the Rx battery goes out it will kill the Rx and engine together b/c of opto kill switch. GOING DOWN FAST. If just the ign batt goes, plane goes down slower depending on where you're at in the moment. Could still be a disaster... With 1 battery, it would be the same as the first statement with two batteries.

The answer is ... it depends. If you have two batteries, one powering the ignition and one powering the RX, then yes, what you describe is true. If the ignition battery goes out you have a deadstick. If the RX battery goes out, you lose all control...but at least with the opto kill the engine will shut off.

My 50cc setup always includes redundant power to the RX through a Wolverine switch (or suitable other mechanism; these work great for me so thats what I use)...and then from the Wolverine switch to 1) the RX and 2) the optokill, and on to the ignition from there. This way, if one battery dies, the other (dedundant) battery provides power to both the RX and the ignition.

Does this make sense?

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
I guess for me it's a security blanket knowing I have two batteries for my rx and servos and one dedicated lipo to my ignition. I also think it's a bit of a safety issue as well. Something that big on one battery.... could be scary, lol. Again, only my opinion and nothing more and note.... I am a bit of a worry wort so there you go. :)

photo 1 (4).JPG

SnowDog

agreed...if I wasn't using the Wolverine switch I would have two batteries going into my RX and a separate battery for my ignition.
You can get really small ignition batteries that add so little weight that its not even worth worrying about, and the benefit of redundant power on the most important component, the RX.

The answer is ... it depends. If you have two batteries, one powering the ignition and one powering the RX, then yes, what you describe is true. If the ignition battery goes out you have a deadstick. If the RX battery goes out, you lose all control...but at least with the opto kill the engine will shut off.

My 50cc setup always includes redundant power to the RX through a Wolverine switch (or suitable other mechanism; these work great for me so thats what I use)...and then from the Wolverine switch to 1) the RX and 2) the optokill, and on to the ignition from there. This way, if one battery dies, the other (dedundant) battery provides power to both the RX and the ignition.

Does this make sense?

Yes, makes sense. Thanks guys for the replies. I have decided to go this route... (2) A123 2100mah batteries, both to Miracle dual switch. Each battery on their own switch. From switches to a SmartFly Batshare to the Rx. Tech Aero Ibec to ignition and gear channel on receiver. No ignition battery. I should have plenty of mah to run everything and adding the second battery only adds 2.5oz. compared to the single battery setup.

Plane is ordered and should on the way soon... Can't wait. I may do a build thread on this one if I have time.

Last edited by a moderator: