• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

AJ 73 laser help?

Hey guys long time lurker, first time poster. First off want to say what great and helpful community this is! So I bought a AJ Laser 73 and love it so far.(Its in the build process). So I plan on using a DLE 35RA. As Tim's videos show it flies great with that engine. however I'm not sure what servos I should Use. I really didn't want to pay more than 40. a servo. Can you guys recommend any good budget servos? I was also curious if anyone with this model had to do anything with the way the cowl mounts?It seems to be weak in this area and really don't want the cowl or wood splitting. Thanks for the help..

I would be careful at that price point, but I have used our Kingmax CLS6227 in several giant scale planes with good results - that is a little more than your budget, but still under $50 .

Suds

50cc
I'm not sure what servos I should Use. I really didn't want to pay more than 40. a servo.

XQ Power servos seem to have a good reputation as good value servo for $40+$50.

The other option is to keep an eye on the classifieds on various sites and ebay. I see a set of Hitck 5995s on ebay for $50 each. These appear to be a 180 degree rotation stock but if you have a Hitec servo programmer these would be a great option at $50/ea

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I would agree with being careful in that price range. It's not worth having a servo lock up and destroy your aircraft with compromising the safety of those around you.

Those XQ's do seem to have a good reputation.
Heard of people using Solar D770's or D771's but they have about a 20% failure rate right out of the box, but since they cost $18/each you would buy a couple extra, and I would recommend splitting the elevator halves and using two servos for reliability.
I would recommend buying a high quality proven elevator servo, but that's just me...
If you wanted to spend a few more bucks, I'd get the Savox 1256 or 1258's you might be able to e-mail Brian with code3innovations on GiantScaleNews, he will usually give you a better price than what you can find online by a few bucks. Brian is a Savox dealer, That's where I got my servos. They cost around $58each

Last edited by a moderator:

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
As far as the cowl mounting, I always re-glue the four tabs with thin CA then add a healthy filet of 30min epoxy (I mixed in micro-balloons to get it thicker), and coated the attaching area being careful not to place any on the outboard side where the cowling slides on top of them. I also use a hand file when fitting the cowling on to make the edges come up flush with the firewall with the engine mounted so you can tell the prop flange is centered, if you but any force on those mounting tabs, it can pop them off. I used the wood screws supplied, but once they get a little sloppy I'll add 4-40 blind nuts and screws on the tabs. Sometimes I'll do that right out of the gate.
I hope that makes sense... I've been trying to get back into my build log on this but I've been busy with many other things.

Hey thanks guys for the help. I was looking at the XQ Power 4020s and 4013s. However I cant find much trial info on them. The Torque seems to be right. I wish i could dress the plane with Savox servos but 100. bucks a piece adds up quick. thanks again for the replies

Last edited by a moderator:

Suds

50cc
Some Savox 1267s on ebay for $75 shipped/new. Love this servo in my AJL.
I'm actually running 1267s in the wings and 1268s (overkill) on the tail.
The speed of the 1267s is impressive