• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion Airframe Vibration Prevention/Deadening

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I know there is a lot of folks out there that have dealt with ways to keep a single cylinder gasser from eating an airframe. Other than the obvious (prop/spinner balancing), what methods have you used for the longevity of your airframe? I'll post a couple scenarios;

1.) Canopy hatch pins and latches? - I've been padding the canopy with some sticky Velcro so it cannot rattle around. Helps but is there something better? I've wondered if anybody has tried rubber grommets on the receptacle side of the fwd canopy?

2.) Tail (elevator/vertical) hinges? - 3M hinge tape as a gap seal, is rubbery enough to help absorb some vibration.

3.) Cowl mount? - Adding bolts with nut plates instead of wood screws, and adding epoxy around the mounting tabs. nylon washers under a larger steel washer don't seem to hold up very long for me... maybe neoprene or a rubber? my cowlings seem to crack around the paint.

4.) Hardware? - blue locktite helps

5.) Airframe joints? - adding a filet of epoxy and/or CA.

6.) Electronics? - wrapping or padding with thin rubber/foam and secured in place with Velcro strips. Also using snake skin (not plastic looming) over wires.

Any other input or ideas??

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
I know [MENTION=3711]Patto[/MENTION] had some serious vibration issues with his 91" 3dhs yak-55. Pat can you share what you did?

Patto

70cc twin V2
I used thick balsa triangle stock in every joint of the motor box and inside the canister box. I also used hardwood cross bracing zig-zagging the top of the fuselage from firewall into the tail just below the canopy hatch. This resolved the vibration issues for the most part.