• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

AeroWorks 52" Extra 260 Freestyle

Luv3d

70cc twin V2
I had the pleasure of getting one of these kits a few days ago, after eyeing it for almost a year! Since this is a new airframe to the 3DRCForums group, I thought I would document my experience in building it- from 'soup to nuts'.

Last evening I got to open the box and go through the contents- the kit is really nice. I decided to try a video of me going through this- I've seen others do something similar. Let me know if you find something of value in this video. If not- it may be the last video on the topic of unboxing.

This is packed better than most other airframes I personally have purchased- all from well-known 3D manufacturers.

Here's 11 minutes of my experience and throughts:

[video=vimeo;53067383]https://vimeo.com/53067383#at=0"]https://vimeo.com/53067383#at=0[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Luv3d

70cc twin V2
:banana: Just got the wings built up. I am using HS-65MG's in the wings. Here are a couple of photos. The first one is after the ailerons are CA'd to the wing, using the method in the instructions (T-Pins to ensure even spacing). This is with the CF Control Horn installed, Servo installed and the ball-links are ready to be adjusted and put on. I taped the aileron flush with the wing to get the ball-links perfect. Worked like a champ!

:thumbup: I seal all my hinge gaps; the 2nd picture is with the sealed gap- I used yellow ultracote to cover the gap. My method for sealing the gap is to cut a 1/2" or 3/4" strip of ultracote, then begin on the inside wing at the hinge-line, and seal both sides of the gap with the aileron as deflected as I can make it. This ensure the ultracote won't cause binding during surface movement. I keep the iron around 250F to do this, and the covering seals to either side of the gap quickly. I do this with a Trim Iron. The directions have been fantastic so far!

100_0302.JPG

100_0312.JPG

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
Nice start to your assembly Mark; it will be fun to follow and watch the Extra 260 come together.

The Aero-works ARF looks like a nicely built kit.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Excellent start for the build log so far, Video was a nice touch! Keep it up Mark!

Luv3d

70cc twin V2
Wings completed; working on the fuselage next

Got the wings done- check out the way the Side Force Generators fit into a mid-wing cavity- very slick. The covering needs to be cut for these, in case you'd prefer just to use the SFG's on the end of the wing. This is such a neat idea, I think I'll fly with the mid-wing installed, and leave the wing tips clean!

DSC_2433.jpg
DSC_2432.jpg
DSC_2435.jpg
DSC_2436.jpg
DSC_2437.jpg

Here is what the SFG's look like that slide into the mid-wing slots:

DSC_2434.jpg

Very straight forward instruction set so far!

Luv3d

70cc twin V2
Fuselage Construction

After getting the wings done, I began to put the fuselage together. The horizontal stab is something I obsess over- if it isn't installed correctly, the plane will not fly well, so I try to take my time to get this perfect (or as close as possible).

Here is a picture of the alignment system used to help reduce your workload in aligning the horizontal stabilizer (head's up, the elevator has to be inserted first, as both halves are joined at the factory- it works as advertised). The horizontal stabilizer uses a pin / slot system to speed alignment.

Here's the horizontal stabilizer (pin visible):
DSC_2406.jpg

Here's the alignment slot from inside the fuse (looking towards the tail):
DSC_2427.jpg

Here is the alignment slot from the rear looking forward:
DSC_2410.jpg

Prior to gluing the horizontal stabilizer, I measure it every way possible to ensure it is square, level and aligned with the wings. I needed a helper to do this accurately:

DSC_2417.jpg

DSC_2422.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
time + patience x meticulous nature = a well built airplane! :) Keep up the good work!

-G

SnowDog

After getting the wings done, I began to put the fuselage together. The horizontal stab is something I obsess over- if it isn't installed correctly, the plane will not fly well, so I try to take my time to get this perfect (or as close as possible).

Here is a picture of the alignment system used to help reduce your workload in aligning the horizontal stabilizer (head's up, the elevator has to be inserted first, as both halves are joined at the factory- it works as advertised). The horizontal stabilizer uses a pin / slot system to speed alignment.

Here's the horizontal stabilizer (pin visible):
View attachment 3192

Interesting - do the instructions tell you to remove the covering? I know that on 3DHS planes, the build instructions clearly indicate to refrain from removing the covering, and just CAing the horizontal stab with the covering on. And I've done that on all my builds and never had a problem...

Luv3d

70cc twin V2
The horizontal stabilizer comes with covering- pre-removed. The customer doesn't have to mess with cutting it at all- it comes like that right out of the box. I have done the same as you have for all my other builds (all 3DHS or Extreme Flight). Not sure how easy it would be to replace a stab, but this is so beefy...I'd probably be replacing the whole fuse anyway....