• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Aerobeez 74" slick 540 mods

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I recently aquired one of these in red. After a dozen or so flights I feel the airframe is dialed in as well as it is going to get. It makes nice lines and performes pretty well in post stall but I fins myself craving wilder tumbles etc. I fulinally decided it was time to make some mods.

First mod: I glued the stabs on. It is my opinion that removable stabs are over-rated in this size and gluing them on with some 15 minute epoxy provided some very nice added rigidity to the tail assembly.

Next mod: New elevators.

I decided the key to better pitch authority lies in larger elevators with counter balances. I took some pics of the tail and sent them over to my buddy [MENTION=3141]addicted2rc[/MENTION] for some design work.

We spent a couple hours designing all the peices and sent them to the laser for cutting.

Here are some pics of our progress.

uploadfromtaptalk1399908180778.jpguploadfromtaptalk1399908211973.jpguploadfromtaptalk1399908228683.jpguploadfromtaptalk1399908251218.jpguploadfromtaptalk1399908269225.jpguploadfromtaptalk1399908286575.jpg

While Brigg was busy designing I cut the phenolic control horns out of the old elevators.uploadfromtaptalk1399908322776.jpg

The elevators are nearly finished pending a test fit. Then they will be covered and put on. I should be able to re-maiden it this week :)

3dNater

I got the elevators installed and yesterday I went out to the field with [MENTION=2972]3DScotty[/MENTION]. He got a few minutes of video before my phone died. Thanks scotty!

New elevators: http://youtu.be/0ssG6f6nQxM

gyro

GSN Contributor
nate, the elevator mod looks great, nice job! looks like it flew well with the change also?

3dNater

Thanks [MENTION=3]GYRO[/MENTION] it does fly pretty well. I am pretty proud of the construction on them as well :) I flew it some more today to get more time on the new radio. Played with some KE mixes today and found that there is a new mix for it that lets you handle both aileron and elevator on the same screen! Sweet!

The plane is flying better the more time I get on it. I think I might try to move the weight back just a tad more and it will be as good as it is going to get.