• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Aerobeez 32" EPP Edge Build Guide.

Hey Guys! Aerobeez has just came out with a bunch of new airplanes including the all new 32" Epp Edge!
My setup will be:
-Turnigy 2204-14t
-Turnigy 12amp esc
-GWS 8x4.3
- Hitec HS-56 for Ailerons
- Futaba s3114 on tail (I ordered HS-45s to use but they did not come in yet in time for the build)
-TP 325mah 3s

(NOTE: For Epp i recommend using the glue that is supplied with the kit. Although it might seem like it drys fast, i recommend allowing it to sit for a couple of hours before it is fully cured)

IMG_4966.JPG IMG_4967.JPG
I like to lay everything out on the table before i begin to make sure i have everything. Aerobeez supply's everything you need to complete the airframe all the way from the carbon fiber re-enforcement to the special glue needed to glue together the Epp parts.

IMG_4968.JPG IMG_4970.JPG
First off, locate your horizontal fuse piece. Now you want to gently push out where the tabs will be going through. Every thing is laser cut so a knife is not needed, your finger should do the trick, just push them
through!

IMG_4972.JPG
Now repeat this step on the elevator and wings. The elevator only has one little tab in the front and the wings have 4 tabs each towards the end of them, these tabs are for your side-force generators, if you do not want to fly with side force generators than i suggest you do not remove the tabs in the wing.

IMG_4973.JPG IMG_4974.JPG
Now you can line up the wings and elevators to fuselage to make sure everything fits correctly. The connections are directional, so there are only one way the wings and elevator can be glued onto the fuselage.

IMG_4976.JPG
Now before we stat gluing anything i like to lay down a piece on wax paper, this is so i do not get the table dirty but more importantly so that the pieces when glued together don't get stuck to the table.

IMG_4980.JPG
Press the horizontal stabilizer to the fuselage and mark on both ends where the connections end. This will help you when gluing.

IMG_4978.JPG
Using the marks we made as a guideline, run a thin bead of glue where the horizontal stabilizer and the fuselage meet each other with the glue that comes in the kit. CA is not recommended for this step.

IMG_4981.JPG

IMG_4982.JPG
With a dry piece of paper towel, clean the excess glue that will seep out of the connections on both sides.

IMG_4983.JPG

IMG_4984.JPG
IMG_4985.JPG
Now if you are patient you can wait a couple hours and allow the glue to dry before moving onto the next step, but if you are like me and are supper needy to get flying you can use some masking tape to tape the 2 pieces together to hold them from separating so you can begin the next step.

IMG_4986.JPGIMG_4989.JPG
IMG_4990.JPG
IMG_4992.JPG
IMG_4993.JPG

IMG_4994.JPG
Now using the same steps we used to glue the elevator glue the wings together. Be very careful when gluing the wings, not to put any glue on the aileron part of the wing, that will be very hard and messy to remove later.

IMG_4995.JPG IMG_4996.JPG
Next locate your carbon fiber strips and remove the square carbon fiber rod and move the rest of the rods aside for later.

IMG_4998.JPG
Test fit the carbon rod in the slot and make sure its fits nice and snug.

IMG_4999.JPG
IMG_5001.JPG
To make sure i don't get glue on anything that doesn't need it i like to mask off the sides of the slot so that nothing gets messy.

IMG_5002.JPG
Carefully go down the slot with a thin bead of glue, you don't need to over do it because the glue is very thick.

IMG_5003.JPG
Now once you put glue in the slot, you may place your carbon rod. I like to start pushing in from the edge and work my way down.

IMG_5004.JPG
Once the rod is in you may wipe away the excess glue.

IMG_5005.JPG
While the glue is still wet, remove the masking tape. This will insure that the tape does not get glued to the plane.

IMG_5007.JPG
With the tape removed lightly clean the area over the rod again. Do not wipe to hard or the paint on the plane will fade.

IMG_5008.JPG
Going down the wing put some masking tape tightly crossing the wing spar in order to keep the wing spar from coming out.

IMG_5009.JPG
At his point allow your plane to dry for about 2 hours before moving to the next step.

IMG_5010.JPG
Now locate the bottom part of the fuselage.

IMG_5011.JPG
IMG_5016.JPG
Test fit the fuse piece on the bottom of the plane. Remove any piece of masking tape that prohibits the pieces from fitting.

IMG_5018.JPG
Make sure the pieces fit flush and square all the way through the plane.

IMG_5020.JPG
IMG_5021.JPG
Run a thin bead of glue going through the center line of the plane.

IMG_5022.JPG
Now place the bottom part of the fuse on the plane. I like to start from the nose and move my way down to the tail.

IMG_5023.JPG
Once the fuse is glued wipe away any excess glue.

IMG_5024.JPG IMG_5025.JPG
As the glue is drying make sure the fuse is square and strait. I used a few servo boxes to help me keep the plane square. At this point allow the plane to dry for another 1-2 hours.

IMG_5026.JPG
Once the plane is dry, you can remove all masking that has been done to the plane.

IMG_5037.JPG
Now locate your landing gear pieces. They are the 2 flat pieces of carbon that come in the kit.

IMG_5040.JPG
Now poke out the slot in the fuse that is men for the landing gears, slide the carbon piece through and stick the carbon in the slot in the horizontal nose of the plane that has an arrow above it.

IMG_5043.JPG
Slide in the other rod and repeat the last step.

IMG_5041.JPG
Using CA, glue together the carbon rods where they cross. Do not glue them to the foam with the CA!

IMG_5044.JPG
IMG_5045.JPG
Using the glue that comes with the kit, tack some glue where the carbon meets the foam.

IMG_5046.JPG
Make sure the plane is still square and allow the landing gear to dry.

Last edited:
IMG_5046.JPG
Ok, now that we have successfully glued in the landing gear rods we can begin gluing in the carbon fiber struts.

IMG_5047.JPG
Locate your carbon fiber rods and remove one of the rods to begin with.

IMG_5049.JPG
Now cut two pieces 1 inch in length. This will be your nose strut.

IMG_5050.JPG

IMG_5051.JPG
IMG_5052.JPG
Glue one side of the rod to the landing gear and the other side on the white dot located on the very tip of the plane. Repeat this step on both sides of the plane.

IMG_5053.JPG
IMG_5054.JPG
IMG_5055.JPG
Now cut two pieces approximately 5" in length. Stick one end into where the landing gear is and the other end into the white dot on the fuselage. Repeat this to both sides of the plane. Make sure do not glue the rods in the fuselage yet. We will do it at the end to make sure the plane is nice and square.

IMG_5056.JPG
IMG_5057.JPG
Cut two pieces of rod about 6.5" in length. Stick one side in the center of the fuse and the other rod in the white circle near the end of the aileron. Make sure that when the carbon rods touch each other you cross the ends over a little bit for some added support. Repeat this step for both sides of the air frame. Do not glue the rods in until the very end.
IMG_5058.JPG
This picture is an example of what i meant by crossing over.

IMG_5060.JPG

IMG_5061.JPG
Cut two pieces 6 1/4" in length. Stick one crossing over the last rod and the other approximately half way between the tail and the elevator. Repeat this step on both sides.

IMG_5063.JPG
Now cut 2 rods reaching from the last carbon rod to the front of the elevator where the white dot is. Repeat this step on both sides.

IMG_5064.JPG
IMG_5065.JPG
Cut two pieces approximately 4 3/4" and stick them in both sides of the elevator as shown in the picture.

IMG_5068.JPG
IMG_5069.JPG
Moving our way back up to the wing cut four pieces approximately 6 1/4". Stick one side in the center of the fuselage and the other on the wing where the 2 dots are located.

IMG_5070.JPG
IMG_5071.JPG
Step back from the plane and insure everything is square before we begin gluing.

IMG_5077.JPG IMG_5076.JPG IMG_5073.JPG IMG_5075.JPG IMG_5074.JPG
Once you made sure the plane is square, everywhere you see the carbon fiber crossing each other, glue them together with CA.

IMG_5079.JPG IMG_5081.JPG IMG_5078.JPG IMG_5080.JPG IMG_5083.JPG IMG_5084.JPG IMG_5082.JPG IMG_5085.JPG IMG_5086.JPG
Now put some of the glue that is supplied with the kit over all of the joints to glue the carbon to the foam. Allow your plane to dry for at least 2 hours. Any disruption to do so will result in a crooked airplane.

IMG_5087.JPG IMG_5088.JPG
Find your carbon fiber hardware and remove these 4 wing supports shown in the picture above.

IMG_5090.JPG IMG_5089.JPG
On the bottom of the plane you will find some slits that have already been cut out for you.

IMG_5091.JPG IMG_5092.JPG
Clean up the area so that these wing supports will slide in from the top with no problem and be flush with the rest of the wing.

IMG_5093.JPG IMG_5094.JPG IMG_5095.JPG
Mask the area around the wing support, place some of the glue supplied with the kit over the slit and slide in the wing support. With a paper towel rub off the excess glue. Repeat this process to all 4 wing supports.
IMG_5096.JPG

IMG_5097.JPG
While the glue is still wet carefully remove the masking tape and clean the excess glue. (As you can see i was not very careful resulting in the paint to peel)

IMG_5099.JPG
Now cut out your control horns out of the carbon fiber hardware sheet.

IMG_5100.JPG IMG_5101.JPG IMG_5102.JPG IMG_5103.JPG
Find the longer control horns, those will be used for the ailerons. Locate where the slit if for them on the aileron and glue them in using the same procedure we used to glue in the wing struts.

IMG_5107.JPG IMG_5108.JPG IMG_5109.JPG IMG_5110.JPG IMG_5111.JPG IMG_5112.JPG IMG_5113.JPG IMG_5114.JPG
The 2 short control horns will be used on the tail surfaces. Find the pre cut slits on the elevator and rudder and glue them in the same way we glued in the wing supports. The elevator slit should be located on the "pilots" right side, and the rudder slit should be in the "pilots" left side. Now allow about 1hour for these to dry before moving onto the next step.

IMG_5125.JPG
Now we can begin installing our electronics.(NOTE: Do not install the arm yet, it is actually installed backwards in this picture, thats what happens when you build a plane at 2am! :) ) Slide in your aileron servo and cut away any foam that prohibits you to do so.

IMG_5122.JPG
Now temporarily slide in the top fuselage piece to make sure very thing fits.

IMG_5124.JPG
Once you have made sure the servo fits nicely, glue it in place and wipe away the excess glue.

IMG_5126.JPG IMG_5127.JPG IMG_5129.JPG
Following he same steps we used to glue in the ailerons, glue in the other elevator and rudder servos.

IMG_5116.JPG
Locate your aileron servo arm and the 2 screws that are supplied with the kit.

IMG_5130.JPG
Electronically center your servo and put the arm in this direction. (The other direction will not give you the proper servo geometry)

IMG_5136.JPG
Now find he 2 thick carbon rods that come in the kit. These will be your aileron push rods. CA the Z bends that are supplied in the kit to the carbon fiber push rods, than cut a small piece of the heat shrink that is supplied with the kit and slide it over where the Z bend and push rod meet, than take a lighter and shrink it over as shown in the picture above.

IMG_5144.JPG
Find the piece shown in the picture above and screw it onto the servo arm in this manner. I like to put some CA on the nut to keep it from coming off.

IMG_5149.JPG IMG_5150.JPG IMG_5151.JPG
Slide your push rods into the aileron servo horn, cut to the desired length, and screw in place.

IMG_5152.JPG
Now cut these out of your carbon hardware kit. These will ensure that he elevator and rudder push rods don't flex under stress.

IMG_5153.JPG IMG_5154.JPG
Slide them into the slits where the stars are located, and slide a push rod through to make sure the wholes line up strait.
IMG_5155.JPG
Follow the same steps to install these for the rudder. Now glue them all in place. And allow about 1hour for the glue to dry.

IMG_5157.JPG IMG_5158.JPG
Now install the push rod on the elevator side the same way we did on the ailerons.

IMG_5160.JPG
Now center your elevator servo, cut the push rod to the desired length and put the Z bend on the elevator servo side.

IMG_5161.JPG
Install the Z bend on the rudder side. and now we can glue the top fuselage piece to the rest of the air frame.

IMG_5162.JPG
Run a thin bead of glue down the center line of the aircraft.

IMG_5163.JPG
Make sure the fuse is square and wipe away the excess glue.

IMG_5165.JPG
Don't forget to glue the tail connection as well.

IMG_5167.JPG
Once the top of the frame is glued together and dried, cut the rudder push rod to the desired length and glue on the Z bend to the push rod.

IMG_5168.JPG
Find your motor mount and 4 screws that are supplied with the kit.

IMG_5169.JPG
Screw your motor to the motor mount.

IMG_5174.JPG
Make sure the nose is squared and glue the motor mount to the frame.

IMG_5180.JPG
I used masking tape to hold the motor in place while it is drying.

IMG_5178.JPG
Cut two carbon rods approximately 6 1/4" in length.

IMG_5179.JPG
Glue these rods on the rudder and elevator where the markers show.

IMG_5183.JPG IMG_5184.JPG IMG_5185.JPG IMG_5186.JPG
Find the white landing gear connector and cut it in half, than find the 2 short carbon rods that come in the bag with the kit and glue them all together with CA in the configuration shown above.

IMG_5187.JPG
Slide on the wheels and make sure it spins freely.

IMG_5188.JPG
IMG_5189.JPG
Find the 2 wheel pants holders and slide them over the end of the carbon fiber out side of the wheel and CA them in place.

IMG_5192.JPG IMG_5197.JPG
Put some glue on the wheel pant holders and glue on the wheel pants.

IMG_5194.JPG
Now install your receiver. I velcroed the receiver right on the CG of the plane in order to keep everything as neutral as possible.

IMG_5195.JPG
Next I put the battery on the nose, so that when i pinch the plane over the wing spar the plane is balanced, i find this to be the best starting point for the CG.

IMG_5198.JPG
Now your plane is complete! If you choose to fly with the side force generators simply use the tabs on the wings as a reference and glue them on, its as simple as that! Personally i have flown it with and without the side force generators and i found that it fly's best with them on.

Attachments

• IMG_5098.JPG
    IMG_5098.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 578