• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

55" EPP/Plywood/Carbon fiber Hybrid Yak 54 coming from Skywing

Skywing has released info on the 55" Yak 54 that is in the prototype stage right now. So if no major changes are necessary, it should only be a few more weeks before the production model is out.
It's designed to fly on 6s ( 2 3s 2200 in series...so you won't need new batteries). I mentioned that a pull-pull option for the rudder would probably allow it to be flown on 4s. ( make it easier to balance with 4s anyway )

Attachments

• WP_000587.jpg
    WP_000587.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 750
  • WP_000588.jpg
    WP_000588.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 428
  • WP_000589.jpg
    WP_000589.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 477
  • skywingffyakfullperspective.jpg
    skywingffyakfullperspective.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 628
  • skywingffyakwithedge.jpg
    skywingffyakwithedge.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 568
  • skywingffyakwithcanopyopene.jpg
    skywingffyakwithcanopyopene.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 527
Last edited by a moderator:

SnowDog

ok that looks pretty cool...I'm excited to see the color scheme(s) they come up with for this one.
:popcorn:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Can't really get a good angle to see, but the rudder doesn't look very big, and with the round fuse, I suspect it will need some help in knifedge flying.
Also, 6s power sounds awesome. Would love to see "under the skin" at how the tail fins are built up to handle the speeds and loads possible with that much power!

wedoitall

Can't really get a good angle to see, but the rudder doesn't look very big, and with the round fuse, I suspect it will need some help in knifedge flying.
Also, 6s power sounds awesome. Would love to see "under the skin" at how the tail fins are built up to handle the speeds and loads possible with that much power!

may be nice with sfgs as an option

I don't know...the rudder seems proportional to the rest of the size of the plane. If you look at the pic with the edge you can see what looks to be 3 carbon spars in the elevator... one across the hinge line and two going out on an angle in each half. Seems to be one carbon spar in the horizontal stab as well. I like the idea behind the 6s plan ( no need for new batteries), but really think it would be better on 4s for it's size. Would also like to see an option for pull-pull on the rudder to help it balance with 4s ( looks like there's enough room to put a ply plate across the frame behind the battery tray...wouldn't be hard to do if it didn't come that way)

I don't know...the rudder seems proportional to the rest of the size of the plane. If you look at the pic with the edge you can see what looks to be 3 carbon spars in the elevator... one across the hinge line and two going out on an angle in each half. Seems to be one carbon spar in the horizontal stab as well. I like the idea behind the 6s plan ( no need for new batteries), but really think it would be better on 4s for it's size. Would also like to see an option for pull-pull on the rudder to help it balance with 4s ( looks like there's enough room to put a ply plate across the frame behind the battery tray...wouldn't be hard to do if it didn't come that way). The interior frame work looks a little heavier, probably due to the size and length of the plane, should help it from twisting with the 6s power. I'm definitely getting one as soon as it's available and I'm pretty certain I'm going to go 4s for power, like most other planes in this size and weight.

djmoose

70cc twin V2
I'm curious why you think it would be better on 4S. (you've mentioned it about 4-5 times so far in this thread)

you realize that 2 3S 2200s are not that heavy, correct? Also, if this plane flies for 6-8 minutes on 6S 2200....then you'll need about a 4S 3000-3500 pack to get the same flight times and run higher amps.

I don't belive you'll get as much weight savings going with 4S as you think. (just my opinion)

I try to go as high voltage as possible whenever and wherever. (usually, motor kv availability is what sets the upper limit of how high you can go)