• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

40% switch / battery combinations

looking for people's switch / battery combinations that they are using in there 35-40% size aircraft. There are lots of different switch manufacture's , battery type's and battery capacities. I like a very clean looking airframe but with that said I will a have spring loaded latching mechanism on my hatch so I'll have easy access to the switch but am considering a pin style with a flag as well. Will have 2 LIPO packs but still not sure of what size. I've never ran this size of airframe before. Looking for Idea's.

Thanks
20160214_154652.jpg

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I use a spektrum AR12120 power safe RX, comes with a switch but I replaced with a booma pin. You will want some type of power safe setup so that the battery voltage does not actually travel through the switch. I'm running dual 5000mah LiPo's in the same plane (with stock scheme).
For 35% planes I use an AR9110 power safe RX with 3600 LiPo's

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I use Smart Fly Power Expander boards. Utilizing the fail safe Pin and Flag that you have mentioned. I also like clean with no massive amounts of switches and devices to clutter things up. Nice thing about the SF Pin and Flag, is as @Terryscustom mentioned with his setup...you don't actually have the direct battery voltage running through the switch itself. That for me is a huge plus. I've been using the same setup on 35% to 40%. Two 5200mah 7.4 Fromeco LiIon's for onboard systems. And depending on ignition arrangement, either none, one or two 2600mah 7.4's for ignition. Below 35% planes, I run the ignition off the flight packs. No need for extra weight with the number of servos you run in those little guys.

WMcNabb

150cc
I've never ran this size of airframe before. Looking for Idea's.

That's a good looking airplane. Whose kit is this?

I'm trying an experiment on a 26cc which is scale, not 3D.

Spektrum 9110 Powersafe with HV servos and LiPo batteries - 2x 1350 mah

image.jpeg

sweetpea

100cc
I'm old school. I use JR HD or Electrodynamics switch/charge plugs for my LIONs.

I stay away from the Miracle brand, heard too many fail stories. The PIN flags are nice but for me require disassembly for charging, but if your using LIPOs you shouldn't be charging in the plane anyway so that would be a good route.

sweetpea

100cc
These work really great, I use them in my 50-70cc birds but wires are a little small for 35% and larger current requirements. They would work for something like IMAC but not any crazy 3D.

Guess that all depends on the servos you are using. I would agree with HV, but that really isn't required, though nice to have.