• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS Velox 70" Servo Configuration

Abrams

50cc
I'm looking hard at buying this plane. I'm doing a little research and I see there are some options for servo configuration. I'd like to get some opinions.

I'm kind of partial to the configuration I have on my 40cc Cap; separate elevator servos and pull pull cable for the rudder. This plane comes with a joiner plate between the elevator surfaces so they can be separated for two servos.

I'm building this with a 20cc DLE. I'm thinking about leaving the joiner in and using a pull pull for the rudder. Am I totally off base?

I guess the reason I am asking is I need to figure out whether to buy programmable servos. I'm seeing some great options for servos, but they are not all programmable, Savox for one. I guess all of that could be handlled with separate channels.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I'm looking hard at buying this plane. I'm doing a little research and I see there are some options for servo configuration. I'd like to get some opinions.

I'm kind of partial to the configuration I have on my 40cc Cap; separate elevator servos and pull pull cable for the rudder. This plane comes with a joiner plate between the elevator surfaces so they can be separated for two servos.

I'm building this with a 20cc DLE. I'm thinking about leaving the joiner in and using a pull pull for the rudder. Am I totally off base?

I guess the reason I am asking is I need to figure out whether to buy programmable servos. I'm seeing some great options for servos, but they are not all programmable, Savox for one. I guess all of that could be handlled with separate channels.

Abrams,

When I build mine, I originally did pull-pull in the rudder servo tray, as I was running electric, but still only had one elevator servo in the tail. This worked out well, as I converted my plane to the DLE20 gas engine, and subsequently moved the single rudder servo to the tail for a push/pull setup. I did need some extra weight in the tail for balancing the gas setup. I stored all my electronics on the rudder servo tray in the airplane, since having the electronics in the nose made her nose heavy.

So where I'm going with this is, you'll likely want to go push/pull to have the rudder servo tray open for electronics, and to avoid adding the weight of another servo to the plane.

Take a look at our review of a power system from TBM, it shows the setup well: http://www.3drcforums.com/content.p...s-Power-System-2-for-Gas-Airplanes-up-to-40cc

I am on my second 20cc Velox. The current one has one elevator servo in the tail along with a rudder servo. Batteries are mid ship. You could put the bats on the turtle deck and get away with a pull pull.

The 68 had 3 servos in the tail and was about right on balance.

I built the second one as light as possible as the first one was built a little more stout by ghoffman.

Moral of the story is I think you will be much happier with a 2 servo tail with the elevator joiner.