• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

35% or larger?

LeeLee

50cc
I have a QQ Python that I am flying right now with a DA85 on RE3 and love it but I want to go back to a mono plane. Should I get an Extreme Flight or something similar for the DA85 or move up to the 150-170 range. Never owned anything larger than the EF 110" Yak and it was awesome but is there an advantage of going larger? I do not fly IMAC or extreme 3D but working up to it. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I have a QQ Python that I am flying right now with a DA85 on RE3 and love it but I want to go back to a mono plane. Should I get an Extreme Flight or something similar for the DA85 or move up to the 150-170 range. Never owned anything larger than the EF 110" Yak and it was awesome but is there an advantage of going larger? I do not fly IMAC or extreme 3D but working up to it. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Lee....it really depends on what you are wanted to do and your future goals. There really is a lot to consider. I think many of the guys here would agree with what I am about to suggest. While the "REALLY" big birds are so much fun to have and they are easier to fly than a small glow (shudder) trainer. Simply because bigger flies better. That being said, 150-170 size, (40'ish%) is awesome and I myself love them. I have two 30%'ers, (DLE 55's on both) and I have two 42%'ers. The difference between even those are as different as night and day. (Have owned 35%'ers previously) There is a great deal of pilots selecting the 35%'ers though. They fly really really well. Very stable and very balanced. They are incredibly responsive, yet docile and gentle when slowed down. They are awesome for IMAC and most all of the newer ones are total bad ass 3D monster machines. Things to consider: Cost between the two, (35% verses 40'ish %), A little less expensive for the 35%. Transportability: Easier with the 35%. Flight characteristics: Pretty much the same for both with reputable makers. However the 35% just a little more crisp. While the 150-170cc size is considerably more forgiving....IMO that is. That is not to say the "BIGGER" birds can't do some amazing stuff. Cuz they can. My 8 year old 42% SD Extra 260 comes in around 42 pounds all up and wet. She will do some of the fastest and cleanest knife edge spins I have seen. Actually match my Pilot 30% Edge 540. But much cleaner and more gentle. Blenders? Oh snap they are gorgeous. And truthfully, I am not an amazing pilot like so many guys out there. (I refuse to name them for the fact I am ashamed...LOL.)

Bottom line is this. What do you feel comfortable with? How far are you willing to go. Personally, I like the really big stuff just cuz...well, they're ''BIG". LOL

At present, I am waiting for Terryscustom to finish up his new creation. I plan to buy a new 35%'er and it will be either his design or a PAU 330SP. Seriously leaning towards Terry's. (Heck, maybe I'll buy both!!) Also have a 50%'er in the works. Ultimately, the airframe of your choosing should be something you are comfortable with, something you really like, something with a very good reputation. Youtube is really great for getting information also.

Hope this helps in some degree.

Last edited:
You can get as aggressive as you want with a 35%. You have to back it down a little on a 40%. But it also depends on the style of flying you want to do. If you want big graceful aerobatics, and draw killer straight lines with smoke belching, get a 40. But thats not to say that a 35 can't draw the same line, and be as graceful, as they can. Keep in mind, there is about a $1200 difference in a 35 to 40% airframe.

But like it was mentioned before, bigger does fly better. If you are leaning towards the 40%, I think I know where you might be able to find a Yak 55M. Depends on if he wants to sell it or not. Flys great with a 150cc. Floats like a feather in high alpha. Holds high alpha knife edge better, since he put a 2nd servo on the rudder (Chad-ro!). ;) I'm sure it could be bought for a song.......

LeeLee

50cc
Great info, I am very comfortable flying anything and also I like the larger airframe. I am looking at an Extreme Flight 42% Extra 300. Its used which would be cheaper than a new airframe and it will be a while to outfit it to have exactly what I want. Thanks for all the info. Yes the Yak55 That Taildragger has for sale was on my list but too far away.

tylerzx9r

100cc
The first thing I would say is... What is your budget mark? This will help you decide, Then it comes to a matter of transportation, if you have a trailer, this probably isn't an issue. Some guy don't, so will it fit in what your hauling it with. Then how do you want to fly, and how often? I love my 40%r but sometimes if I am only wanting to take one plane, my 35%r is the best choice! Faster to assemble/ disassemble, clean, put away, so on and so forth. After that, you need to decide what you want as a frame, Yak, Edge, Extra, this will usually slim down the manufacturer and styles for you. As noted above, in the newest items, the way they fly is so close to the same, you probably couldn't tell much difference. But there is always the AWE factor on size! Hope this helps..... Be interested in knowing what you choose, I myself am going for one of Terry's new kits when they become available!:congrats:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Great info, I am very comfortable flying anything and also I like the larger airframe. I am looking at an Extreme Flight 42% Extra 300. Its used which would be cheaper than a new airframe and it will be a while to outfit it to have exactly what I want. Thanks for all the info. Yes the Yak55 That Taildragger has for sale was on my list but too far away.
Ya know...depending upon your motor choice, you can outfit that 42%'er for just about the same money as a 35%'er. For what it is worth.., On my 42% 260 I run (2) each HS 7954SH servos on the ailerons. One each of the same on the elevators. And two HS 7980TH on the rudder. Including the HS 5665 throttle servo, I am using 9 servos total. Smart Fly Power Expander Pro with Fromeco Li-Ion Relion 5200 mah 7.4 volt x 2 for rx. and one Fromeco Li-Ion Relion 2600 mah 7.4 volt for the ignition. Setting up a 35% would be about the same. Savox makes some really great servos. The new MKS777 is also supposed to be an awesome servo.

LeeLee

50cc
I have always been a round cowl fan but I also like extras. Buying a used airframe will save so I can get the engine and servos I want. Im running 7954 and 7980 on my Python so I could always gut it and sale that with engine to get the DA170 I want or DLE170. I think that would be good because I like the slow and low 3D and just the size makes it look even better. Time wise it takes a while to assemble the Python so I would not be worried about that.

Last edited:

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
For me 35% is just right. It is large enough to fly excellent, but small enough to throw around a little bit in the air.