• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

30cc gasser prop suggestion

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey everyone, I didn't see any info. here so I will post this question in hopes some of you out there might have a little better input than what I am finding.

I am doing a build for a friend on a Hangar 9 Cirrus 96" wingspan. It is going to be running a 30cc gas engine. Because my friend is a fanatic about scale looks, he would like a 3 blade prop up front. I am not up to speed on the smaller gasser motors and so I am confused as to the best all around prop to get for this little dude. I have been finding some info. that states a 16x10. Does this sound right to you guys? Preferably CF if possible. The only one I found was a Mejzlik 16x11 (3) blade. Anyone have some suggestions? 

Help if you can please? Thanks....

Rob

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Personally I would start with a two blade  to get the maximum power and go from there.  What motor is he going with  and what is that going to weigh?  For the scale like looks I would have him look at the VVRC 40 twin so nothing is sticking out of the bottom of the cowl to ruin that nice look.  Plus you will see a cylinder just in each inlet.  Not to mention he might like that extra power.  96" on a 30 sounds under powered to me.   

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Ohio.AV8TOR said
Personally I would start with a two blade  to get the maximum power and go from there.  What motor is he going with  and what is that going to weigh?  For the scale like looks I would have him look at the VVRC 40 twin so nothing is sticking out of the bottom of the cowl to ruin that nice look.  Plus you will see a cylinder just in each inlet.  Not to mention he might like that extra power.  96" on a 30 sounds under powered to me.   
He has purchased an RCG 30cc. If it is anything like the 26 and the 50 I myself owned, it should prove to be a great little motor. My 50 ran as good if not better than most other high end 55cc motors at our field. It would turn a 22x10 Mejzlik 3 blade at 7000 on the ground. It made my old Great Planes Edge 540 wail with totally unlimited vertical. So I am thinking the 30 will be a good motor. Hangar 9 actually recommends a 30cc for this plane. All up weight is supposed to be 16 to 18 pounds. My Hangar 9 Cessna 182 150 with onboard electric start comes in at 20 pounds with a Saito 180 on it. WAAAAAY more power than it needs. Since both planes are about the same size, about the same weight, and since the Saito 180 is roughly 30cc, it will probably be good to go. Though difference between top wing and bottom wing could play into that. As for the 40 twin, That is an awesome idea. Unfortunately he has already purchased the single gasser.