• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

1200lb WIG Flying Hovercraft = Not Aircraft. 3 lb Phantom with camera = Aircraft WUT?

SleepyC

150cc
Read this and tell me something strange isn't going on here:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngoglia/2014/08/16/faa-thinks-two-pound-drones-aircraft-but-1100-pound-manned-and-flying-craft-unsure/

I'll quote one paragraph:

[COLOR= #000000]But the question here is not why the FAA considers hand-sized drones to be aircraft, regardless of their size or the altitude at which they’re operated. But why it can’t decide that an 1100 pound passenger-carrying Flying Hovercraft that looks like an aircraft – wings and all – and can fly at speeds of 70 miles per hour (and more) and at altitudes of 20 feet to more than 50 feet in the air, over water or land, is also an aircraft. These flying machines, called WIG craft or wing in ground effect craft, fly on the air cushion created by aerodynamic lift due to the ground effect between the craft and the surface, the same as occurs between any aircraft and the ground on landing. [/COLOR]

Um WUT?

Mikeq

150cc
absolutely...which poses more of a danger to the public...a 1100 lb aircraft or a 2 lb one. It points out how asinine the FAA can be...I one thing I do not understand is why on earth are they requiring a full scale pilots license and making quad meet the same standards as full scale. Only reason I can see them (FAA) doing this is to create a deterrence or make it so difficult to be legal that most reasonable people wanting get into aerial photography wouldn't go to the trouble... I'm sure there will be waivers granted to certain industries like the motion picture where they wont have to comply..

SleepyC

150cc
Mikeq;6107 wrote: absolutely...which poses more of a danger to the public...a 1100 lb aircraft or a 2 lb one. It points out how asinine the FAA can be...I one thing I do not understand is why on earth are they requiring a full scale pilots license and making quad meet the same standards as full scale. Only reason I can see them (FAA) doing this is to create a deterrence or make it so difficult to be legal that most reasonable people wanting get into aerial photography wouldn't go to the trouble... I'm sure there will be waivers granted to certain industries like the motion picture where they wont have to comply..

Man you know it... I would Completely understand and support the taking of a ground school, airplane speak and proper flight logs and such. Also eve certified craft (within reason, no Boeing only $50K Octos)

But this full scale license is BS. 100% BS.

They are going to ruin an entire US industry... and take any chance of me staying a float away.

Mikeq

150cc
Mikeq said
 I'm sure there will be waivers granted to certain industries like the motion picture where they wont have to compl

Well never thought I'd be quoting myself but I just saw this the other day. Apparently they still are requiring a private pilot's license, fly only in daylight and it has to be in line of sight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpOveJ3JI-g