• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

120 or 150 for a 40% Cap?

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Hi Guys,

I'm heading out Sunday morning to go look at a Carden 40% Cap 232 project that has been partially built. I don't have a problem finishing it but I"m wondering what you guys think I'd need to have in it to fly well. I'd have put this in the 3D area but I'm not a big 3D flyer. I like having a lot of power but I don't need to break the sound barrier going straight up. Strong uplines, big loops and i'm happy if I bring it home in one piece.

So I'm kicking around what I'd need to plan on for power. I've seen a lot of them with DA-150's but I'm wondering if I'd be fine with a DA-120. Could I fly Sportsman or even Intermediate with the 120 in there?

Opinions?

Thanks,

Bart

Daytonarc

70cc twin V2
Bartman;4184 wrote: Hi Guys,

I'm heading out Sunday morning to go look at a Carden 40% Cap 232 project that has been partially built. I don't have a problem finishing it but I"m wondering what you guys think I'd need to have in it to fly well. I'd have put this in the 3D area but I'm not a big 3D flyer. I like having a lot of power but I don't need to break the sound barrier going straight up. Strong uplines, big loops and i'm happy if I bring it home in one piece.

So I'm kicking around what I'd need to plan on for power. I've seen a lot of them with DA-150's but I'm wondering if I'd be fine with a DA-120. Could I fly Sportsman or even Intermediate with the 120 in there?

Opinions?

Thanks,

Bart

DA 170 needed! This would have a thumbs up Smiley if it was available. :)

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
i should tell you guys, i had a Lanier 1/4 scale Extra that I rebuilt after initially throwing it away. it came with about 35 planes I bought from an estate and then mostly resold.

for the hell of it I put a G23 in it and loved (!!!) flying it. It was underpowered by anyone's standards but it was obviously flying on the wing so I had a lot of fun with it and flew it a lot before wrecking it.

would the 120 be very underpowered or underpowered for the average overpowering 3D guy?

Sgt_Buzzkill

150 dude...

Unless the plane weighs 26-28 lbs your gonna want a 150. My Cap is like 39 lbs and the 150 (old school) pulled it around fine.

Astrohog

70cc twin V2
That's a tough one, Bart. The 120 is a BALLSY motor for sure! I think it would fly it, but would definitely be underpowered by todays' standards. Since you are putting it on a Carden, it would depend somewhat on how light the build was as well.

The DA 150 is such a great motor, so smooth and reliable, I think you would be happier with it.

Regards,

Astro

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
i could maybe see doing the 150 but i don't want to be flying around at half throttle, not enough noise. :)

BalsaDust

I personally don't know anything about the larger planes but I say go for the power. LOL I hope to see a build thread of this soon. Also would be great to see a resurgence of Caps on the market. Maybe Carden could update theirs and bring it back on the market and maybe even dalton for a kit of see Pilot create a nice ARF. Also more available sizes, some of us can't afford the 35-40%ers and have to stay around the 50cc sized planes.