• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion What's a good first balsa plane?

wedoitall

im looking into the future of getting my first balsa plane. definetly not ready for it at the moment. but being an addict, you know we gotta at least plan our next 3 purchases.

I was wondering what would you guys recommend for a first balsa plane? And why?

I have an idea of what i may or should get, but i wanted to see what you guys say. Your input hasnt steered me wrong yet, so itll influence my decision, greatly :D

thanks NJSwede!

njswede

150cc
My first balsa plane was a 3DHS Edge 41". It's a great plane, but to be honest, I'm not sure I would recommend it as first plane, since it's very light and pretty sensitive to wind and inexperienced pilots.

As most of you know, I'm a big fan of the ValueHobby Sabre X. It's an extremely easy plane to fly and has a very gentle stall and zero wing rock, which makes it perfect for a relative newbie to use as a "3D trainer". I've also heard very good things about the EF Edge 48" and it's gentle stall. Some of my friends got 3DHS Edge 48" as their first balsa birds and they're very happy with them.

I think you want to go with something around 50". If you go smaller, it's going to be a bit twitchy.

All this is in my very humble and not very experienced opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

quadracer

100cc
My first balsa plane was a 3DHS 48 Edge. Probably not the ideal starter in the 3D realm, but it taught me a lot!

quadracer

100cc
I think the fact that it is so floaty (on 3s) makes it a somewhat decent first plane. Stall speed is somewhere around a turtle's race pace. :)

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
Of the planes I have I'd recommend the Extreme Flight 48" Edge EXP.. It's super stable post stall but doesn't give up anything in performance or specification to any other plane of similar size.

I challenge you not to buy one after watching this:
[video=youtube;xxuUp6x3J2o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxuUp6x3J2o[/video]

wedoitall

ive seen a couple videos of daniel, he is amaze'n. i wasnt gonna say what i was leaning to till after the discussion, but that plane was one of'em

gyro

GSN Contributor
I've had both the 48" Edges from EF and 3DHS. They're both excellent airplanes, and sinced they're based of the Edge platform, they're both extremely stable post stall.
Either one would be an excellent choice, and neither will disappoint you.

djmoose

70cc twin V2
If you can afford a 51" Slick...that's the ticket!

My first balsa plane was a World Models Zero EP fighter...lol (I know that doesn't help)

My first 3d balsa plane was a PA Extra 260 and I don't care for how floaty they are.

The 51 was my second 3d balsa and it single-handedly made me a better pilot. I think it's the first plane that gets you out of the "small plane feel" range.

If you can't get into a 51...I'm pretty sure you'll be fine with either of the 48's from 3DHS or EF.