• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

What motor would you use in a 50cc size?

Av8r RC

50cc
Hi all,

I plan on getting a 50cc size bird around Feb/Mar when it starts warming up and the evening light starts getting later again.

If price was no option what motor would you get to power a 50cc size plane? OS, DLE, DA?

Also what plane would you get. I'm leaning towards a 89 Slick, and may also be able to get a Fantasy Blue one kinda cheap soon. But I'm open to suggestions.

And FWIW I have a 51 Slick (by far my fav), 48 EF Edge, 47 SHP, 40 EPP Edge, used to have a 41 Edge, and have flown a 71 Slick.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I've got an 89 FB Slick! Great plane, you won't be disappointed!

Mine has a DLE-55 in it, but it seems it needs a little more time to break in, or some bowman rings!

If money was no object, I think it's safe to say the DA-60 hands down. But I'm still new to gas!

-G

I'll echo the DA-60. It's a sick powerplant on the 89". And when I say sick, I mean it's a friggin awesome match made in heaven. Throw a Falcon Carbon 23 x 10 on stock mufflers and let it eat.

Last edited by a moderator:

robj

70cc twin V2
dle55 with a 23a working out fine in my 87. About $350 complete from tower with discounts. I was angling toward a da60 until I flew an 87 with a 55 at Shreveport. Da60 was going to be about $750 complete. The 55 bolted right up.

Maybe Ray will let me fly his one day!

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
I would add that as much as I love my DA-60 if I did not get such a good deal used I would not have hesitated to get the DLE55. I have seen many planes fly pretty darn good with one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Av8r RC

50cc
Hmm.. Thanks for the opinions. I was leaning towards the DA. Maybe I'll look at the DLE55 when I start buying anything.