• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

What is the max number of channels generally needed for giant scale?

I am just starting giant scale and trying to figure our the radio upgrade first. I have a DX9 Gen2 now that would get me started, but I understand it isn't enough channels to really take me very far. So that will get relegated to my "standard scale" aircraft and learning helis.

For another radio, I have a lot of questions about the number of channels I should target. I knwo there is much more than just channel count to consider (gimbals, tehnology, bus systems, telemetry support, programming, price, etc). Bur for now, I am just focusing on how many channels I should go for and what is needed to be truly scalable long term for GiantScaleNews? It appears each manufacturer has a gap in the number of channels offered. Spektrum jumps from 9 to 18 and maxes out there, JR has 11 and 14, but then jumps to 28 for their max, and Futaba has a 14 and 18 but tops out there.

Going to 11 channels over my current 9 does not seem like much of an increase in channel capacity, so I have decided to look at 14 and up. I also consider several brands and decided to stick with the common 3 choices of Spektrum, JR or Futaba.

So some question are:
- Is 14 channels really enough long term? Or is 18 channels the max needed?
- What would you use more than 18 channels for that would drive a flyer to 28 channels?
- Does JR have anythin to bridge the gap between 14 and 28 channels?

Thanks for the help!

pawnshopmike

Staff member
DX18 would be my choice. It will work with all your current receivers and you already know how the programming works. Really no reason I can think of that you would ever need more than 18 channels.

Most giant scale planes only need about 6-7 channels. If you are willing to run matchboxes or some kind of power distro with servo matching then all you absolutely have to have is Aileron (2), Elevator, Rudder, Throttle, Kill. 2 channels for Ailerons is very nice to have for flaperons/spoilerons and for differential. This is only 6 channels.

What most of us do though is try to use a channel for each servo and match the servos in the radio. If you go that route you can use up your channels faster. A typical 35-50cc plane would be like this Aileron (2), Elevator (2), Rudder, Throttle, Kill for a total of 7 channels. When you go to 100-120cc you add more servos and it looks more like Aileron (4), Elevator (2), Rudder (2), Throttle, Kill which brings you to 9 channels. Going up to 40% and you are at Aileron (4), Elevator (4), Rudder (2-3), Throttle, Kill for a total of 13.

Adding smoke, servo controlled choke, flaps (2), and retracts can add channels too.

I'd be completely comfortable never having more than 12 channels. More is nice, but not necessary at all. I flew for years on a JR10x and seldom felt limited by the channel count.

Most times, 7-11 channels are all you need. It depends on what airplane and how you set it up. Most 35% aerobatic aircraft will require 10 channels, not including smoke.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I use 10 I suppose, 4 ailerons, 2 elevator, 2 rudder, 1 throttle, 1 kill. 14 channel receiver leaves room for more though.

My last plane a PAU Extra 300SP I had 6 aileron servos, 2 rudder, 2 elevator, 1 throttle and one ignition kill. 12 channels.