• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

What is the best method for hinging controls?

gyro

GSN Contributor
Ok, so I'm about to start building my 70" Velox, and I had a difficulty time when I last installed the plastic elbow hinges.
Anyone out there have a fool proof method? Pics and step by step would be great :)

SnowDog

Ok, so I'm about to start building my 70" Velox, and I had a difficulty time when I last installed the plastic elbow hinges.
Anyone out there have a fool proof method? Pics and step by step would be great :)

Epoxy or GG
vaseline
toothpicks
q-tips

Test fit each hinge into hole - ensure pin can be fully inserted into hole

test fit all hinges and ensure full travel of control surface is available

Apply vaseline to hinge area of each plastic elbow hinge using q-tips.
(this prevents glue from seizing hinge)
microezhingexj8.jpg

Apply small amount of glue to one side of each hinge and insert hinge into one side of surface to be hinged
(or use toothpick and apply epoxy/GG directly into hole)
ensure that each hinge is exactly 90deg to surface and fully inserted

Apply glue to other side of hinge and install second surface to be hinged.

Continue moving and testing control surfaces while glue begins to set. If using GG, wipe away excess glue as it foams out of holes.

Once glue has started to set and GG has stopped foaming, ensure that all hinges are moving properly.

Let glue dry overnight.

Done.

feedback welcome; this approach worked well for me when I did these hinges on my 65" Vyper.

Last edited by a moderator:

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
Gorilla glue may not be the best choice for your hinges. There was a discussion on RCG in January regarding GG. Someone contacted the manufacturer directly, but it was more of a question regarding the strength of the white versus brown. Their response was interesting.

"Gorilla Glue Dries White gains strength faster and is ultimately the same strength when fully cured as the original Gorilla Glue (brown). When we developed the dries white formula, we did a lot of testing to ensure that we maintained the strength properties of the glue - it is just a bit faster when it cures. With both formula’s, there is no strength in the foam that squeezes out. The white foam is softer than the original squeeze out. There is no strength in this foam for either glue. Gorilla Glue is meant to be used between two tight fitting pieces; so tight that the glue expands into the pores of the substrates and the glue line is basically invisible. This is what makes the bond so strong. It cannot be used as a filler or a sealer. It will fill any gaps or voids but it only does this cosmetically and not structurally since there is no strength in the foam. Gorilla Glue and Gorilla Glue Dries White formulas will work on non-porous surfaces, such as metals or glass, but we do recommend lightly scratching up the non-porous surfaces first with some sand paper where the glue will be. This will give a texture to the surface and it gives the glue something to hold on to."

gyro

GSN Contributor
Good advice Rex, I used 15 min epoxy for the rudder on my 87 SHP a few days ago.

joshgluck

100cc
Epoxy or GG
vaseline
toothpicks
q-tips

Test fit each hinge into hole - ensure pin can be fully inserted into hole

test fit all hinges and ensure full travel of control surface is available

Apply vaseline to hinge area of each plastic elbow hinge using q-tips.
(this prevents glue from seizing hinge)
View attachment 3370

Apply small amount of glue to one side of each hinge and insert hinge into one side of surface to be hinged
(or use toothpick and apply epoxy/GG directly into hole)
ensure that each hinge is exactly 90deg to surface and fully inserted

Apply glue to other side of hinge and install second surface to be hinged.

Continue moving and testing control surfaces while glue begins to set. If using GG, wipe away excess glue as it foams out of holes.

Once glue has started to set and GG has stopped foaming, ensure that all hinges are moving properly.

Let glue dry overnight.

Done.

feedback welcome; this approach worked well for me when I did these hinges on my 65" Vyper.

I'm putting robarts on my 48" epp extra. Anyone know is epoxy, gg or foam safe ca is best?

joshgluck

100cc
My guess is foam safe ca, since I believe they have a depron core if you're talking about a 3dhs one.

Yep its the 3dhs one. I'm thinking Ill get my beater ready for combat FLI and then build the other one thats still in the box. Im still up in the air if it flies well with all the repairs from its explosion than I might not sacrifice it to combat. We will see...

So foam safe means depron and epp? Was going to use welder on the epp outer where I have to make some reparis too... Can I use welder on depron? anyone know?

gyro

GSN Contributor
Yep its the 3dhs one. I'm thinking Ill get my beater ready for combat FLI and then build the other one thats still in the box. Im still up in the air if it flies well with all the repairs from its explosion than I might not sacrifice it to combat. We will see...

So foam safe means depron and epp? Was going to use welder on the epp outer where I have to make some reparis too... Can I use welder on depron? anyone know?

You can not use welder on Depron, it'll melt.

SnowDog

won't epoxy work just as well on foam, EPP, and balsa?

Epoxy is what I would use, per Rex's comments above about GG not being structurally sound in gaps.