• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Wendell Hostetler 30% PA-28 Cherokee Build

TonyHallo

150cc
Started building the canopy plug, was wondering what to do with all the heavy balsa wood. So far all the sheet over 60 grams are gone, starting on the 50 gram sheets, there's not as many however. Buying the laser cut parts makes this build easier.

IMG_1756.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Two years ago I bought a garbage bag full of balsa blocks for $20, the wood has been stored in my shed since then, time to put a piece to work. This 2 3/8" x 3" x 36" weighted 18 ounces and came in at 7 1/2# per cubic foot. National Balsa has 2" x3" x 36" block of Aerolite Balsa (4-7 lb) for $61.00, I'm well ahead on this purchase. Set up a fence and re-sawed into 3/4" wide x 1 3/16" sheets for the windshield area. Should have a little stock left over.

IMG_1761.jpg
IMG_1767.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
IMG_1769.jpg
Just about ready to pull the plug off the fuselage, extensions will then be added to the front back and bottom, about 1/2" to give a little material for final fitting. Found a 3" x 4" balsa log in the shed, part of it became the tail cone. Plan to Monokote it and make a mold, then lay up the part. Thinking the elevator servo may find a home under it.

Attachments

• IMG_1770.jpg
    IMG_1770.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 194
Last edited:

TonyHallo

150cc
Rather than glass and paint the plug for the tail cone I decided to Monokote the part since the mold will be a one-off part. You can spent the time finishing a less than perfect part or spend the time making a perfect plug. The plug is glued onto Monokoted scrap balsa. Twelve coats of Partall #2 wax and two coats on Partall film and the mold making will begin. Got the extensions added added to canopy plug and ready to glass. I was hoping to use some old polyester resin but it doesn't want to kickoff, I'm glad I tested it.

IMG_1771.jpg
IMG_1774.jpg

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Had to dig the plug out of the mold but at the end of the day the mold is quite acceptable. If more than one part was needed, I would make a two part mold. There is 5 coats of wax on the mold already and with any luck should be pulling the part tomorrow.

View attachment 118700

Oh man, Not sure why I'm doing the canopy the way I'm doing it on my little ridge runt... I should have made a plug like you did. Instead I made an undersized foam canopy and am glassing over it... then I'll dig the foam out or maybe try acetone. Thanks for sharing!

TonyHallo

150cc
I have made cowls that that way as well, works just fine.
Put two layers of 6 ounce glass on the canopy plug. Skim coat with 3M Bondo All purpose putty, sets up fast and sands easy, you can find it at Lowes. I have some left over from the remodel last winter, will need another quart to finish.

IMG_1776.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Got the tail cone pulled out of the mold, took some effort but it is out. Made a 1/4" mounting plate for the elevator servo that also locates the tail cone and will also serve has the blocks for the mounting screws. Had to come up with a Rocket City horn out of the stash for the linkage. Pushed a piece of 5/8" dowel into the center of the stab tube then drilled and tapped for 8-32. Need 12 degrees travel both up and down. If needed I can add a counter weight to the linkage just like the full scale however I don't expect it will be necessary. It's about time to start making the tail plane parts, haven't cut foam quite a few years, can't wait.
IMG_1778.jpg
IMG_1777.jpg

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Got the tail cone pulled out of the mold, took some effort but it is out. Made a 1/4" mounting plate for the elevator servo that also locates the tail cone and will also serve has the blocks for the mounting screws. Had to come up with a Rocket City horn out of the stash for the linkage. Pushed a piece of 5/8" dowel into the center of the stab tube then drilled and tapped for 8-32. Need 12 degrees travel both up and down. If needed I can add a counter weight to the linkage just like the full scale however I don't expect it will be necessary. It's about time to start making the tail plane parts, haven't cut foam quite a few years, can't wait.
View attachment 118702 View attachment 118703

Good Work!