• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

New Product Twisted Hobbys- Official REVO P3 build and review thread

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
Twisted Hobbys- REVO P3 biplane

P3 field.JPG

Product Description

We welcome another wild yet beautiful amazing creation from Rcfactory’s team the Revo P3. This new EPP biplane is a super-acrobatic biplane inspired by an actual world renown Revolution P3 aircraft flown by Skip Stewart. Special wing core shaping has been developed specifically for this model creating a sharp precision flight yet allowing the 3d beast to come out with-in on command! As expected RcFactory's attention to all details shows in keeping this model light weight yet durable with hardware and construction highest in its class. Twisted Hobbys has focused on creating a unique power system matched perfectly for your Revo P3 which will increase flight time and allow for the ultimate in flight experience. Come join the revolution with you very own Revo P3!

Model Spec's:

Wing Span = 37"
AUW: 15-16.5oz (depending on components used)
Full EPP construction
Carbon Fiber landing gear
EPP Durability

Recommended Required Components:

45-60g 1000kv brushless motor
20-30A ESC
Micro Receiver
(4) 10-16g Servo’s
10x3.8/10x4.7 Slow Fly Prop
3s 850-1200mah Lipo

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
Official build and review of the REVO P3 from Twisted Hobbys

For this review I used the following items:

REVO P3(black): https://twistedhobbys.com/rcf-37-revo-p3-biplane-black/

Twisted DMG power combo: https://twistedhobbys.com/power-comb...ne-tmw-cs-dmg/

Beacon Foam-Tac: https://twistedhobbys.com/beacon-foam-tac-glue-2-oz/

Venom-fly 950mah 3s lipo packs

Misc. thin and medium CA

The build:

Using the RCFactory instructions, the build is pretty straight forward, if you have built the TH 39" Crack Yak, it is similar to that build except for you have one more wing to install and the landing gear install is a bit different.

Using Foam-Tac as the main adhesive, I built the P3 in 3 evenings: evening one was 7 hours, evening 2 was 4 hours and evening 3 was 4 hours. So a total of 15 hours, this time included Glue tack/setup time, setting up and programming my transmitter, installing servos, radio gear, esc/motor and checking/adjusting the CG. Flight ready!!

The maiden flight:

Of course the weather was bad, so I had to postpone the maiden a couple of days due to lots of rain, but when it was time to head out and get this sweet plane in the air I wasted no time at all!!

It worked out that is was also time to go to the Show Me RC Big Bird event in St. Louis, MO., so we packed the KEG trailer full of planes and headed out. Nothing like the feeling when you maiden a new plane in front of a crowd of people
eek.gif

First flight(maiden) impressions:

The Revo P3 looks and flies scale. I spent the majority of the first flight doing minimal trimming, getting the feel of how it reacts to input and seeing how the CG is. The last minute or so of the flight I started into a few basic maneuvers. I was impressed with how it looks and flies. At the recommended 90mm CG mark, I think it is a little nose heavy for my flying style, but it is a great starting point.

Second and third flight impressions:

After getting use to the P3 on the first flight, I was ready to try out some 3D maneuvers. First up was the hover...no problems at all, just a little aileron and throttle jockey corrections needed(normal) and it has plenty of pull out power!

Up second was upright and inverted flat spins(no power applied), again no problems, it did them with a little nose down attitude. I tried them again with a little power applied, it helped a little with the nose down attitude, but not much, but that is where a CG adjustment is needed.

3rd: Was upright and inverted harriers, again no problem for the P3, I had to work a little extra to keep the nose up on the inverted harrier. I mainly fly off grass fields, harrier landings are a must for me.

4th: Was the tail slide and elevator. The longest tail slide I got was about 25 feet or so before it flopped out. The elevator was absolutely perfect....nice and flat the whole way down! I let them go til about 3 feet off the ground. Elevator lands are possible given the right wind conditions.

5th: Was the hammerhead and pop top. The rudder has plenty of authority to whip the tail around for the hammerhead. No problems on the pop top either
biggrin.gif

6th: Lets see how she likes to fly knife edge.....fast and really slow high alpha KE, again no problem for the P3. I was amazed at how little rudder input was needed. It had a slight tendency to pull to the belly. KE loops are not a problem either. I like to do partial KE loops into a butterfly
biggrin.gif

7th: Was rollers....my favorite
biggrin.gif
The P3 does rollers like a boss!! Slow and fast, very little input needed.

8th: Was the blender and waterfall. Again no problems doing blenders. Rudder correction is needed for waterfalls. It does really tight waterfalls if you switch on flaps!

9th: Was point and snap rolls. Point rolls, fast and slow are not a problem for the P3. The snap rolls are wild and crazy with easy recovery.

If I didn't mention a maneuver, then I haven't tried it with the P3 yet, but if it can perform the above maneuvers it shouldn't have any problems doing anything else.

The REVO P3 is a 3D maniac!!

Wrap up:

As usual, with any Twisted Hobbys plane, the P3 is a well thought out and executed airframe design.

Pros and cons:

Pros: Easy and fast build, flies great slow and fast, no bad tendencies, oh and did I mention it is a 3D maniac??
Cons: NONE

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
Since I used Beacon Foam-Tac as my main advesive, I start out building some sub assemblies so they can be set aside to tack up/dry.

Photo Sep 12, 3 58 30 PM.jpg

Cut the wing struts apart

Photo Sep 12, 4 03 50 PM.jpg

The carbon supports for the wing struts are longer than needed, so the need to be cut to length

Photo Sep 12, 4 09 20 PM.jpg

Glue carbon supports in place, then set aside to dry. I applied weight to keep them nice and flat while the glue setup.

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
Photo Sep 12, 4 13 00 PM.jpg

Flat carbon for the top of the elevator, these are already cut to length

Photo Sep 12, 4 15 43 PM.jpg

Foam-Tac flat carbon in place.
Photo Sep 12, 4 16 26 PM.jpg

Flat carbon for the bottom of the elevator, this is already cut to length

Photo Sep 12, 4 19 24 PM.jpg

Foam-Tac in place, set aside with weight on top to keep it nice and flat

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
Photo Sep 12, 4 29 23 PM.jpg

Carbon rod for horizontal fuse

Photo Sep 12, 4 31 50 PM.jpg

I found they were a tad long, so I cut them to length

Photo Sep 12, 4 44 42 PM.jpg

Foam-Tac in place and set aside to dry, no need to weigh it down, but you can if you like.

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
Photo Sep 12, 5 40 38 PM.jpg

Cut the vertical tabs loose

Photo Sep 12, 5 43 03 PM.jpg

Cut the horizontal tabs loose along the whole length of the fuse

Photo Sep 12, 5 50 56 PM.jpg

This is what it will look like after you cut the tabs out

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
Photo Sep 12, 6 00 56 PM.jpg

Apply Foam-Tac to mating surfaces, push together then pull apart and let it tack up for 2-3 minutes, then assemble pieces

Photo Sep 12, 6 12 03 PM.jpg

It will look like this when assembled correctly