• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Topics and a build thread for the new guys

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
I 2nd servo geometry and mixing

Building with the end result in mind, w/o adding ounces of weight for cg and lateral balance

Building light .. dont get crazy , build it light but keep it strong ,in the right areas.

The importance of using 2 people to handle, start and always having a spotter.

The importance of viton/gas fuel lines.

Courtesy and etiquette at the field with a giant.

Quality and strength requirements of servoes.

A bagging vs weights methods article/video and how to thread for each.

A list of recomended glues , resins, epoxies ,tools.

Storage and transportation.

Responsibility of joining AMA for insurance purposes and rights.

Checking noise levels at intended fields prior to spending money and not being able to fly there.

Keeping it simple first time in.

how to avoid the million questions at a field so you can get a flight in.. lol.

And safety safety safety. " its not sissy to wear a leather glove for starting" you need your fingers to fly.

[MENTION=518]Profile Pilot[/MENTION] 2.4 recievers install much or just like any other, rubber foam wrapped and mounted on a isolating material, Velcro and or zip tied, keeping the reciever as far from the ignition as you can, aand mounting the satellite or satellites more than one foot from the the base reciever, if possible.

Its all in the instructions, follow them and youll be good.

IMAC FANATIC

Oh, and of course a repair section or thread, its an inevitable and required skill. These days I take pride instead of shame for a well done repair.

A " how-to" discretely change your shorts at the field after your first dead stick with new flying piggy bank !

IMAC FANATIC;13925 wrote:

[MENTION=518]Profile Pilot[/MENTION] 2.4 recievers install much or just like any other, rubber foam wrapped and mounted on a isolating material, Velcro and or zip tied, keeping the reciever as far from the ignition as you can, aand mounting the satellite or satellites more than one foot from the the base reciever, if possible.

Its all in the instructions, follow them and youll be good.

Thanks for the info. I think I was trying to over think it. I will check out some build threads and get what I can from them. There is a lot of good info, you just have to know where to look.

IMAC FANATIC

Welcome, im sure there are literally hundreds of people here willing to answer any question, sometimes its just a matter of .. where.. you post your question, for the fastest response.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Some of the main mistakes I see people new to gas make are:

1. Poor control linkage setup. The things you get away with on glow or electric wont cut it on a gasser.

2. Poor fuel system installation. No barbs, no zip ties, hardware store fuel line, ect.

3. Lack of Loctite. I Loctite everything but the prop bolts and the canopy bolts. I even Loctite my servo arm screws. Some people say not to, but if you've ever had one fall out you will think otherwise.

4. Batteries. This is one of my pet peeves. Charge your D@MN BATTERIES! I have actually heard this statement twice at the field in the last year or so. "I charged those batteries two weeks ago, I can't understand why the went dead". Really? Just how hard is it to charge your batteries before you fly?

5. Restrain your airplane with something more than a screwdriver stuck in the ground with a rope tied around it. A gasser of any reasonable size would pluck that screwdriver out of the ground in nothing flat if it started with throttle on. I've had a throttle servo lose it's mind and suddenly think idle should be at half throttle. Had it not been well restrained it would have ate me.

That's just a few things off the top of my head.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
IMAC FANATIC;13927 wrote:

A " how-to" discretely change your shorts at the field after your first dead stick with new flying piggy bank !

Or when it's your best flying buddies flying piggy bank that just handed you the transmitter and wanted to see how you do a Pop Top. You make a pass over the field pull up, do a nice pretty Pop Top that ends in a nice little hanging pirouette that finishes nose down just hanging there and you notice, it's not running. Crap! The "how-to" for changing the shorts would have come in handy that day.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Brian,

He has learned a valuable lesson since then, don't ask me to show him how to do a Pop Top unless I'm flying one of my airplanes. It took one more event to really set that in stone though.

He was flying another one of his airplanes one day and he just couldn't do a good Pop Top. I was spotting for him as always and he handed me the transmitter so I could do one and he could watch the sticks. I came over the field pulled up did the Pop Top and everything was fine. He had me try another and for some reason it wouldn't do it. I tried another and still no joy. I flew around a little then made a knife edge pass across the field, pulled some altitude and handed him the transmitter back. He landed, and when he went to turn left to taxi back it wouldn't turn.

When we go it back close to us we saw the left rudder cable trailing behind the airplane. I'm sure glad that knife edge pass I made across the field was with right rudder or things could have got ugly.

Come to think of it he hasn't let me fly that airplane since. But really, that's okay with me. If I had to replace a Carf 3 meter Sukhoi with a DA200 that would end my modeling for awhile.

attachment.php

18805=12557-DSCF0261Small.jpg
18805=12557-DSCF0261Small.jpg

IMAC FANATIC

Doug, and that sir is why I wont 3d the big ones! Yikes.

Last month, flying Dave's Carden 118, took off , banked right... kept banking... banking, wouldnt roll back to level, frozen.. watching beautiful plane heading up and out with no control what so ever.realized somehow I fat fingered the flight mode switch to between rates, hit it back to low rates and spent a few minutes trying to stop shaking and get heart rate down before I had nerve to land, end of flying session. Can" almost happen" happen sooo many ways.

Btw.. gorgeous plane there, glad it came down in one piece.