• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Topics and a build thread for the new guys

Ant

50cc
General servo linkage geometry. Getting a linear throttle response through geometry and radio setup.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I've lined up a plane for these videos, it's a Lanier 73" Edge 540 ARF. It was originally purchased with a trailer full of planes from an estate and it was one of the last ones that I sold. It was flown a few times with a Zenoah G26 and then I sold it for $75 and I"m buying it back for $75! It's a great airplane, flies like it's on rails, with servos for $75. Granted you won't find these kinds of deals every day but I"m hoping to show large scale rc can be done on a budget if you know where to look. It's a good approach if you just want to give it a try before getting too much money wrapped up in it.

I"ll get the plane next week and get to work finding another G26 for it. FWIW, the Zenoah G-26 does a great job in the 30cc class of planes. If you're going after hardcore 3D then you'll probably want 30 or 35 cc in these planes but for tooling around and learning the G26 does really well and there's a gazillion good used ones out there.

If anyone reading this has one I'd be interested in buying it.

To be continued

Thanks,

Bart

I'm still a beginner, but I learned to build my first gas plane from online resources (many of the people here at this new site helped me at other sites, and at a flight event).

Coming from electric, one of the things I didn't expect was the startle I got the first time I started my plane. After about 20 minutes of starting the plane, not priming the fuel system properly, I thought the plane would never start, and thought I'd just keep going until my arm and shoulder gave out. When the engine finally started, this is what happened. (Fast forward to 7:44)

I think next time I'll get gas to the engine a different way than expecting it to start immediately...

RJ 706

70cc twin V2
Bartman;7725 wrote: well, the beginners' lounge is going to be a combat free zone where the new guys can get their feet wet, meet up with each other, learn about RC, and join in with the activity of the site.

when we get to the oil conversations we'll have to also explain why it's a hot topic, with its own forum area, and why they should probably just surf past it! oil drama. who needs it?!?!?

Perhaps outline how different designs fly.

Such as, biplanes to mono wing designs and what to expect from the Edge, Extra, Yak airframes.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
ok, will do. i went last night and picked up the airframe that i had mentioned earlier. i forgot that right before i sold it the vertical stab had come loose so i have to make a new one before the rest can be done but making a replacement part from scratch would make a good video topic so it's all good.

site problems are a priority right now but it'll get started soon enough.

bart

I am curious of radio install. As I have bought a 2.4 mHz radio, I am starting to wonder about the radio gear installed in the airplane. I would like to see some guidance on mounting the receiver and antenna in the fuse.

GasCan

30cc
Thanks for starting the thread for new guys and old guys like me, Radio set up and mixes would be a good topic