• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Never keep track of how many flights I do a year. All I know is I just fly every chance I get. But this year it sure ended early. I know I went through 16 gallons of glow fuel but no idea of how much gas.
16 gallons of glow... WOW I used to go through about six before switching to electrons and gasoline. I go through about 5-6 gallons of gasoline each year and I only have two 35cc planes! I so wish I had a field to fly at all day in the summer... who knows, maybe one day.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
My buddie here gave me one of these about 4 years ago. Never used it. I'm sure I will eventually. Super nice really. I usually fill my 5 gallon gas can, one full bottle of Redline, instant 40:1 mix. Done!
View attachment 106686
I have nice measuring cup that I keep in my trailer, but never use it. It has only been used when someone at the field needed a way to measure something. I do the same thing you do. I get 5 gallons of gas and 1 bottle of redline - done.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Never keep track of how many flights I do a year. All I know is I just fly every chance I get. But this year it sure ended early. I know I went through 16 gallons of glow fuel but no idea of how much gas.
16? As in sixteen (16) gallons? Dang Snoops, that is a heapin' helpin' of glow powered flyin'! Even when my son and I were flying nothing but nitro, and flew all the time, between us we probably didn't go through 4-5 gallons. Max! That is a bunch of flying!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
16? As in sixteen (16) gallons? Dang Snoops, that is a heapin' helpin' of glow powered flyin'! Even when my son and I were flying nothing but nitro, and flew all the time, between us we probably didn't go through 4-5 gallons. Max! That is a bunch of flying!

I know I am flying with a big Y.S. Four stroke on a 20/20 mix. That is on the plane that I am trying to teach my self to fly 3D with and doing a lot practice . I can easily polish off a gallon of glow in a day at the field. Hope to move to a gas plane next year because that glow fuel cost is getting out of hand. The plane that hopefully will replace it is the 20cc profile Edge that I am rebuilding. That was supposed to be my 3D plane for this season but as you know I drilled it in after just a few flights.
You know that I just retired last fall and this summer if possible I would fly when ever possible and that would be three to four times week if the weather was ok.

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I know I am flying with a big Y.S. Four stroke on a 20/20 mix. That is on the plane that I am trying to teach my self to fly 3D with and doing a lot practice . I can easily polish off a gallon of glow in a day at the field. Hope to move to a gas plane next year because that glow fuel cost is getting out of hand. The plane that hopefully will replace it is the 20cc profile Edge that I am rebuilding. That was supposed to be my 3D plane for this season but as you know I drilled it in after just a few flights.
You know that I just retired last fall and this summer if possible I would fly when ever possible and that would three to four times week if the weather was ok.
Well that would explain it then! They are not known for being thrifty on fuel consumption. Still even so, a gallon a day is a lot of flying. That is the biggest reason I gave up all my big jug saito's and went to gas. The 20/20 blend here is around $40 per gallon. I just could not responsibly or feasibly see myself continuing to pay that amount. At the amount of fuel you burned this year, (16 gallons) multiplied times the 40 bucks a gallon here for the "Gold Fuel", is equivalent to the cost of two 35cc engines. (Roughly) I truly get where you're coming from. And honestly, I really like the little O.S. Surpass 70 on my trainer. So much so that I'm considering moving it to a little warbird, giving the trainer to my club as a donation, then getting something like a 107" Decathlon or something of the sorts, (insert suggestions here) for my grandsons to train on. But I just can't hang with 40 bucks a gallon for glow fuel.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well that would explain it then! They are not known for being thrifty on fuel consumption. Still even so, a gallon a day is a lot of flying. That is the biggest reason I gave up all my big jug saito's and went to gas. The 20/20 blend here is around $40 per gallon. I just could not responsibly or feasibly see myself continuing to pay that amount. At the amount of fuel you burned this year, (16 gallons) multiplied times the 40 bucks a gallon here for the "Gold Fuel", is equivalent to the cost of two 35cc engines. (Roughly) I truly get where you're coming from. And honestly, I really like the little O.S. Surpass 70 on my trainer. So much so that I'm considering moving it to a little warbird, giving the trainer to my club as a donation, then getting something like a 107" Decathlon or something of the sorts, (insert suggestions here) for my grandsons to train on. But I just can't hang with 40 bucks a gallon for glow fuel.

You are correct the price to fly that plane with that setup is expensive. Was hoping it would die but that engine yes keeps on running and not only that it is not even losing any power, and if I try to sell it, it is a not evan worth $100 so I will just live with the engine and get my gas planes built and up in the air next year. But I must say love the sound of the engine and no muffler to worry about.
I am in the same situation as you my grandson is 4 and he just all over my aeroplanes when comes to visit. I was thinking of getting a small foamy plane with an electric setup. There are a few around our field that fly really well. Just have to keep an eye out this coming season and see what I think will work. Probably a EFlite of some kind. When I find something I will let you know.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Probably a EFlite of some kind. When I find something I will let you know
You have heard of the "e-flite" Apprentice right? Awesome little foamy trainer plane. If only I had one of these when I taught myself how to fly, I probably would not have broken the little Goldberg Eaglet 50 in half or worse 7 times before I actually made a complete take off, flying a few circuits and then landing in one piece. LOL. Have to admit, I loved that plane. I learned so soooo much from that plane. I had an O.S. Surpass 26 four stroke on it. It would fly for about 10 years on the fuel I had pumped into the tank. Wow.

Sad to say, I was actually excited that I had this weekend off. I totally planned on taking...none other than the newly glow powered trainer out for some touch and go's. Ah but the windy witch decided to blow like 47 mph. UGH!! But I really wanted to fly that plane again. I am sick. Totally sick. LOL

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Not really this evening, but I did a lot in the house/workshop today to get things lined out so I could get the Velox done. Got things re-arranged for more room. I then decided to replace the instrument decal in the big 330. As some of you may remember, the late fall suns heat raised havoc with the decal and blistered it. I should not have let it stay in the sun so long. No worries. I replaced the original with a brand new from B&E graphix.
20181110_131624(0).jpg
It wasn't terrible but it bothered me enough I just could not go with it. So now the new one is in place and the "G-Force" pilot is back in his seat.
20181110_141514.jpg
On to the next project. I started charging all my planes' batteries so I could then take them down to "storage" charge. I highly doubt they will see much action between now and Spring. So storage charging the batteries seems appropriate now. Only problem with this procedure is, with 7 big planes outfitted with Lipo's or LiIon's, I am going to be up all weekend watching them darn things. LOL

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Not really this evening, but I did a lot in the house/workshop today to get things lined out so I could get the Velox done. Got things re-arranged for more room. I then decided to replace the instrument decal in the big 330. As some of you may remember, the late fall suns heat raised havoc with the decal and blistered it. I should not have let it stay in the sun so long. No worries. I replaced the original with a brand new from B&E graphix.
View attachment 106693
It wasn't terrible but it bothered me enough I just could not go with it. So now the new one is in place and the "G-Force" pilot is back in his seat.
View attachment 106695
On to the next project. I started charging all my planes' batteries so I could then take them down to "storage" charge. I highly doubt they will see much action between now and Spring. So storage charging the batteries seems appropriate now. Only problem with this procedure is, with 7 big planes outfitted with Lipo's or LiIon's, I am going to be up all weekend watching them darn things. LOL
That looks a lot better. Spent most of last few days stripping batteries out of my planes and soon they will all be cycled and set at storage charge, must say NiCads did have one advantages.