• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

pawnshopmike

Staff member
I will be real busy in a while thanks to @pawnshopmike , these special hinges to fix my Pro 60 rudder. It will be nice to have it back in the air Big thanks Mike you saved me .
View attachment 104658
I’m sure you’ve used CA hinges before, but if not...Make sure to use really thin CA so that it wicks in real good. I tried to glue a set in one time with a bottle of thin CA that had been open for a while. It had thickened up just enough that it wouldn’t wick into the hinge very well. Had to start all over with a fresh new bottle of thin.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I’m sure you’ve used CA hinges before, but if not...Make sure to use really thin CA so that it wicks in real good. I tried to glue a set in one time with a bottle of thin CA that had been open for a while. It had thickened up just enough that it wouldn’t wick into the hinge very well. Had to start all over with a fresh new bottle of thin.
You are 100% correct was looking at my thin CA and it just did not look right so the job has been postponed for later when I can get my hands on a new bottle of CA.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I did something a little different a couple of nights ago. I needed a new battery for the H-9 Angle Meter and did not have one. Well what do you do when you have an impending maiden to do and need to do a final check on your surfaces and have a dead battery in your meter? Well, you improvise. First you note that the battery it uses is an 11a 6.0 volt Alkaline battery. What the world? A tiny little battery about 10mm in diameter and 25mm long? How in the heck do you get 6.0 volts out of that? Hmm, lets find out. I cut it open and what do you know? (4) watch battery cells enclaved in an aluminum tube. Ah ha! Says me!! 4x1.5=6.0 volts. Not rocket science Rob. LOL. So off to the local Wally World I go to get some watch batteries. Ureka!!! The 23A is perfect. But they are rated at 12.0 volts. Two of them to a package for $3.97. I get home and cut the little dude open. I likes me to do surgery. I should have been a doctor...or a mad scientist. LOL. Yup, 8 of those little guys inside. So I remove four, set the remaining four off to the side for future use. And rebuild my battery for the Angle Meter. Once re-assembled, I installed it into the meter and went to work. Works perfectly.... Holy smokes what a find. So now I have a complete intact 12 volt battery I can cut open and four extra little batteries for the next time I need them. All for less than four bucks. Beats the heck out of paying 10.00 bucks and having to wait for it to be shipped. Pretty good way to go cheap huh Kelly? @49dimes. LOL....

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Well I finally did something RC related this weekend. I ran my buddies engine to check it out :brian-banana:.

Thrilled I did something RC related :fist_pump:.

20180729-140845.JPG

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Spent some time working on the Edge 20cc. Looked at the exhaust and found the problem I belive the bolts were to short so I need to buy some new bolts 45mm long you never have the right size at home. Changed a few other small items. It always takes me a while to get a new plane to my liking. The first season is always Change this and change that and all of a sudden it feels right everything is working the way you want it to be. Will look at how I can move the CG a little further back.