• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Spent the whole morning finishing up my foam force. QQ Cap ready to go :). Avanti S ready to go :on_the_go:. QQ 300 always ready :sneaky:.

0623181303-00.jpg
0623181303-01.jpg
0623181304-00.jpg
0623181305-00.jpg
0623181305-01.jpg

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Just for interest if you take 35% plan not crunching in cd factor with a 10 pitch prop and perfect wind conditions you would have to be at 11,000 rpm to get 100 mph that is not easy to do especially at that rpm the tip is breaking the sound barrier and not doing a thing.
If you fly with a 18 pitch and correctly pick the diameter to absorb the power it is possible, but th only thing is do you have enough diameter to pull with to overcome the drag of the plane. This is all at level flight. Diving down is a different story.
I used to do those calculations when I was messing with some small pylon airplanes. I did the math that day the guy clocked my Edge at over 120, but I didn't want to rain on his parade since he was so proud of his radar gun.
9 inch pitch propeller at an unloaded RPM of 8000 is a tad less than 70 and that doesn't count propeller inefficiency. I was coming out of a dive into level flight, but not enough for that kind of increase.

In the ducted fan days, top speed contests were fairly common in the later years using speed traps. It's been a long time ago, but I think the fastest one I saw back then was in the 220's. BVM fan and a Nelson .91 in a BVM Viper at the Superman Fan Fly in Metropolis IL. They quit that in the US when the turbines came around. They could destroy those speeds.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I very much have to agree. Freewing states 115 out of the box with a 40C 5000 6S. I'm going with a bit more electron push 65C packs.

I think 120 plus is very doable with them. What really impressed me watching all the vids was the sound. Darn close to a actual gas turbine model. The flexing metal retractable LG and lights are the "icing" on the "way cool" for me :cool:. And it looks good to boot :D.

Getting close to having it flight ready. Just waiting on my bat's to show up.

View attachment 103970 View attachment 103971 View attachment 103972
Yeah Freewing does a nice job on the retracts and lights.
Here's a shot I like of me landing my buddies Freewing Stinger 90 that shows the gear and lights well.

21688039_1011219272353165_4423293808938426397_o.jpg

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Saw some neat mod ideas about the front landing gear so I followed suit. No 3D printer :( just old fart hands and some wood.

I also put some shrink wrap around the bay door spring to help hold its shape and avoid metal on metal.

If it's not a triple digit heat index day late tomorrow afternoon it will get MAIDEN . Buddy of mine flies a FlexJet and got some new 5200 40c packs. I get to break in a couple for him :).

0623182319-00.jpg

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Saw some neat mod ideas about the front landing gear so I followed suit. No 3D printer :( just old fart hands and some wood.

I also put some shrink wrap around the bay door spring to help hold its shape and avoid metal on metal.

If it's not a triple digit heat index day late tomorrow afternoon it will get MAIDEN . Buddy of mine flies a FlexJet and got some new 5200 40c packs. I get to break in a couple for him :).

View attachment 103992
A little extra reinforcement on the gear is not a bad idea. If I have any complaints about a Freewing jet it's that they sometimes scrimp a little on the glue for the retract mounts.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
A little extra reinforcement on the gear is not a bad idea. If I have any complaints about a Freewing jet it's that they sometimes scrimp a little on the glue for the retract mounts.

This is the first EDF I will have flown in several years. I can only compare it to the E-flight BAE hawk (Built up EDF) and Foam HABU. Everything I have seen so far is really top notch. The only things I did not like was that one of the elevator servos does not have its horn correctly positioned on the output shaft (fix this later) so I get a tad more up travel on the right elevator. Both servos plug into a mixing board so you have only one elevator channel and can not sub trim out the "offset". And the nose gear bay door fit / design could be better to stream line things). But hey I am not complaining at all just pointing out. The price point to the door of this model is mind blowing. And no I wont post that meme @pawnshopmike :laughing:.

0624181258-00.jpg
0624181259-00.jpg

Alky6

150cc
Finally picked up a 2m pattern plane. Price was right. Should scratch the itch I have. Piedmont Focus with a YS FZ140. Has some really old Futaba servos that are not to exceed 4.8v except for wing servos. Those are S9102. Does anyone know if the 9102 would be good for 6.6 volts? Plan to put it on a BEC and regulate the voltage to 6.6.

The tank is MK and has a funky stopper that also wraps around the outside of the tank lip. Anyone know a source for those? Or would I be better off to pick up a new dubro tank and use an aluminum stopper hardware upgrade to handle the high tank pressure?
Thanks in advance.

05DABF9B-40D2-4D22-9231-98EC7A299102.jpeg
7BB6AE59-1081-422F-BD35-1027ECE6BB68.png
BD1057EF-D1B4-457A-8191-B6CCDFEDF214.jpeg

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I ran 9102's at 6 volts before. Sometimes they would jitter a bit but it soon stopped once the top of the battery charge was gone.
Good looking plane Paul. As far as the tank I think Central Hobbies carries those. Tetra tanks are the same way and that is what I used to use. @Alky6

0624182006-00.jpg

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Finally picked up a 2m pattern plane. Price was right. Should scratch the itch I have. Piedmont Focus with a YS FZ140. Has some really old Futaba servos that are not to exceed 4.8v except for wing servos. Those are S9102. Does anyone know if the 9102 would be good for 6.6 volts? Plan to put it on a BEC and regulate the voltage to 6.6.

The tank is MK and has a funky stopper that also wraps around the outside of the tank lip. Anyone know a source for those? Or would I be better off to pick up a new dubro tank and use an aluminum stopper hardware upgrade to handle the high tank pressure?
Thanks in advance.

View attachment 104010 View attachment 104011 View attachment 104012

Great flying airplane.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Towerhobbies just informed me that the Top Flight P-40E Kit has been deleted off my wishlist (been there forever!) :( one day I'll build my favorite warbird lol! ARF is still available though.

Worked on my Tech-Aero 3D printed holder design some more. Workin on version 1.9 now...